Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What's a girl to do?



What's a girl to do when she is a country girl at heart and lives in a not-so-country home?



(We found this flag in the wine country of Temecula when we were there to ring in the New Year. It sometimes just describes my mood perfectly!)

My family and guests have always described our home as comfortable. Which I appreciate. I have a great time puttering around, changing things here and there, trying something new. I used to drive my Mom nuts when I was a kid because when we "deep cleaned" our bedrooms every Saturday morning (remember that? change the sheets, vacuum, dust, clean mirrors) I would always change my furniture around. But she used to change the furniture in the house around too, so I know I learned it from her. I couldn't wait to get my own place so I could use all my treasures from my hope chest and decorate to my hearts content. After the birth of our 2nd son I was fortunate enough to be able to quit working and stay at home with the boys. My husband quickly learned that you just never knew what you were going to come home to. 

As time goes by, tastes change, finances change, location changes. We learn to be flexible. We lived in a cute little ranch house for 16 years before moving into this house over 5 years ago. Would I go back? Not in a million years . . . I like having more than 4 1/2 feet of my own closet space! Is this our forever home? Nope. It's very fun living here. If we were staying forever, there are several things I would change. But for now, we've done all we're going to and we'll enjoy our time here.

I thought I would share a few photos of our home. So grab a glass a wine and join me!




Come on in!


Standing at the front door looking in



The living room is on your left ... 


The room is large and 2 1/2 stories tall. I inherited the paint and faux painting over the lower windows from the previous owner. We are "storing" this furniture for our youngest son until he moves out of his "frat house" and into his own apartment.  Until then... I'm dealing with it. HA! My mind is already thinking what I could do with this room . . . hard wood floors, new paint, new drapes, shutters, furniture . . . 

On to the dining room. Can't quite get it all in one shot. I love my furniture! We can all sit down and eat together, that is, until we start having grandchildren. (But no problem - I'll adapt when the time comes!) I do love this room since we added the french doors out to the backyard.




We had 2 built-in china cabinets installed into 2 niches on the other end of the room that you can't see. But when I took everything out of them after Christmas to clean and redo, I came up with another"project" so you'll see that later.


back to the entry and turn right . . .


down the hall into my husband's office and left of that is kitchen and family room.

I know everyone feels like their home is looking rather sparse after the Holidays. But that's a good thing. Use it as a time to really clean up and start anew. Get organized for the New Year! Plan your next project(s). Paint a room! It'll make you feel good! 

So that's it for today. I hope to get a little tour of the upstairs uploaded next.  





1 comment:

Ginger said...

Karen, I am going back and looking at your older posts (before I found your blog). Your home is so beautiful, and I might add, huge. lol. You have it decorated so nice. I enjoyed the tour.