Friday, March 13, 2009

94 years young

Well, we lost my husband's Grandmother today. She was 94 years young and sharp as a tack.  We've been expecting it for about 6 weeks now, but it still hurts when it happens. 

This is Grammie and my Father-in-Law.
She was a pistol!! She kept her entire family on their toes. 
Her favorite saying was "manja manja! An empty bag blows away in the wind."

NO PROBLEM GRAMMIE!!

This is Grammie and her great-grandchildren from her son's family - my in-laws. 
They are in the picture too. 
Those two on the right are my sons. Pretty cool to be in your 20s 
and be able to say your Great-Grandma is still still alive - huh? 

I had a Christmas family reunion Dec 2007 up at our place. There was Grammie, her 2 kids and one spouse, their 6 kids and 5 spouses (grandchildren) and their 10 kids (great-grandchildren). There was a slew of us! I had to rent extra tables and chairs and just sat everyone down right on into the entry so we could all sit down together. 

All of these people - just because of two people who fell in love, got married and started a family back in the 1930's.

Kind of awesome when you think about it.

Grammie's birthday was on Christmas Day.

We'll miss you Grammie. Love you. 

ps. say Hi to Grandpa-the-great and Harry from all of us! 
[signature-1.gif]

7 comments:

Ginger said...

Hi Karen: So sorry for your loss. She looks like she would be a character and so fun to hang out with.
I am still in Las Vegas...visiting my daughter right now and looking at some blogs while I am relaxing.
Ginger

Cynthia said...

Karen,
Sorry to hear about your loss, I hope you can find some comfort in memories of her. Cindy

April said...

Oh Karen.....I'm so sorry to hear about Grammie.....but I'm sure her friends and family in heaven are happy to finally have her up there. Your family will be in my prayers this weekend.

Connie said...

Karen...sorry to hear about Mark's Grammie. Thinking of you...COnnie

Joyce said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. It's never easy even when expected. What wonderful memories you have and how great for your boys to have known their great grandmother so well. Thinking of you.

~CC Catherine said...

Ah Karen.......I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of Grammie. My prayer is that she is saying hello to my Grandma in heaven about now...there's gotta be a special crown awaiting all our Grammies for all the unconditional love they give us here on earth. I've missed chatting with you...first you were away, and I've been away. We'll have to catch up soon! I will have your family in my thoughts and prayers... ~CC Catherine

Shellmo said...

I'm so sorry for you loss! She sounds like she was a real pistol!!