Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Babies, Cricuts and Chicken

Good morning. 

I got a phone call from my friend Jeanne last night. They are inducing her daughter this morning at 5:00 (yawn). This is Chrissie's second child. She is the same age as my oldest son. They grew up together, along with Dallas, Connie's oldest from Connie's turning 50. So now, Chrissie and Dallas are both married (not to each other mind you) with 2 children. Mine? Nada. Zip. Zero. Zilch.  While I am anxious for him to find his forever love, I know he has his heart set on accomplishing a few things first. And I also know, he may not be looking, but if the Lord sets the right woman in his path, he will have no choice. (hehehe) So - I'm learning patience. That is not a strong tribute of mine.

Speaking of patience, that is what I have to do today in "Love Dare". Practice patience on my spouse. Hmmmmm. I agree with Christine from Wash, Fold, Put Away, Repeat, - who is the one who recommended this book. The mornings are easy because you wake up and he is out the door to work. Now when we go RVing and 4wding this coming weekend for 3 days - we'll see how I continue to practice this phenomenon!! Plus more!

HEY! CRICUT LOVERS! I just read my flyer from Joann fabric and craft stores and the small Cricuts like mine are on sale for $99 this week!!!! For all of you who wanted one after seeing mine, that is an UNBEATABLE price . . . and it sure is fun!! But remember you need the cartridges too, and you REALLY need to find those on sale. 

Onward! I made a new recipe out of my new cookbook last night! "Chicken with Garlic, Tomatoes and Basil." Doesn't sound like much, but it was a quick and easy recipe so I gave it a shot. Now remember! This is Karen we are talking about. I don't tend to follow recipes all that well. Especially the part that brings home the correct ingredients from the market. So.  I improvise A LOT!!!

This recipe called for 1/2 cup of a fruity Chardonnay or a good Pinot Noir.  I had a great Chardonnay that I picked up in Temecula the last time I was there. It is from Wilson Creek and it is outstanding! Great start!

Then heated up the most favorite item I have in my kitchen, my Le Creuset pot. LOVE IT!!!! And it shows! I call it "seasoned". HA!
Season the chicken with s & p then brown for 3 minutes each side "skin side down" 
- uhhhhh, they were boneless, skinless breasts that jumped into my shopping cart. IMPROVISE!!

 "1 cup of plum tomatoes, skinned and seeded." 
The only "Plum" tomatoes Trader Joe's had yesterday were these tiny sweet ones. 
Skinned and seeded?
Hmmmm . . .  NOT!!!!

Brown the chicken, OK that's easy. Except there were supposed to be 4. Oh well!

Everything else is standing by the ready - wine, 2 cloves of fresh minced garlic, tomatoes.

Remove chicken, add other ingredients and cook for a few minutes, add the chicken back, then plunk the whole kit'n'kaboodle in a 450 degree oven for about 8 minutes or however long it takes to finish cooking the chicken. Put it back on the cooktop, add 2 cups of cherry tomatoes...

 and 2 Tbs fresh basil - YUM!!! ButI add more! I am a fresh basil -a-holic! 
Cook it all for about another 5 minutes or so, until the cherry tomatoes are soft.

Plate and serve! I followed her suggestions of a creamy polenta. And then threw in fresh spinach because I like green!

And that was it! It was easy! And best of all - they all liked it!!!

Now if only I could've gotten Justin to do the dishes before he left for class . . . 

Have a great day and I'll keep ya posted on the baby!!!!

[signature-1.gif]

7 comments:

Shellmo said...

Thank you for sharing that dish! And you did such a wonderful presentation on those beautiful plates of yours!!

Sher's Creative Expressions said...

Karen, maybe we could introduce your son to my daugthter :) ~ we're not crazy about the guy she's been dating for too long!!

We're doing the Love/Dare challenge too. We saw the movie Fireproof and were blown again with it. We're hosting a few couples over here on Saturday night, who have not seen it, to see it on our basement "big-wall-sreen TV." We also are in the Fireproof Sunday School class at church and we are enjoying it very much.

Great looking dinner. Thanks for the recipe.

I've been thinking and thinking about those Cricuts. I'm also checking out the Silhouettes because apparently with those you don't need cartridges. My 15 (almost) year old daughter was with me when I was looking at the Cricuts and she asked what it was for. I explained it to her and she said, "Mom, whatever happened to scissors?" I told her they went by the way-side with "calling from a payphone, listening to music on the radio and writing letters :) "

Blessings,

Sher

Ginger said...

Karen, I think your chicken looks delicious. I was laughing how you improvise. I do the same thing. Hey, as long as it tastes good, who cares?
I really like that Le Creuset pot you have.
I know what you mean about practicing patience, but trust me, it gets worse when they retire. This 24/7 togetherness drives me nuts.
As for your son finding his forever love, he will. He is still young. He is such a handsome guy, I bet he has all the gals calling him.
How exciting to be on "baby watch", let us know.
Ginger

~CC Catherine said...

Hey Karen...I missed ya girl! ;) This RECIPE looks scrumptious! And., the presentation on the dinner plate looks so lovely with the colors! Super step by step review for us! ~CC Catherine

Christine said...

Should of read this post first...Didin't have to wait long for this recipe!....lol This sounds so yummy....going to copy and make this! I don't think you can go wrong with these flavors!

Christine said...

Got so carried away with the food I forgot to tell ya I am in the same boat...I don't forsee grand kids to soon here either!....lol But I am glad they are all persuing their dreams and living a fun life now. =O) See what happens when I get to the food part...I lose all focus!...lol

for the love of a house said...

Hi Karen! This recipe looks great! Don't you love your Le Creuset?! They are just the best. All my pieces came from the outlet and while supposedly have flaws, I can rarely find them!

Btw, your boys are soooo handsome! I'm thinking grandbabies are right around the corner! And you and your husband are a really cute couple! Happy belated Anniversary!
joan