Sunday, April 19, 2009

Buttons and Pearls

So . . . I went to the Estate Sale. It was just sooooo what I was not expecting. I guess that means I'm a yard sale kinda girl. ;)

But on my two-hour-all-by-myself-each-way drive, I had a lot of time to think! (OK, yes I agree - that could be a scary thing!) Well I started thinking about photos. About how the picture in my head, isn't coming out in the picture I take with my camera. I mean, I have all these thoughts running around about what things to post that I think everyone would appreciate; things I enjoy and that I think you would like too. And photos are part of that. A big part.

So from now on I am making a promise to myself to slow down and not try to "keep up with the Jones'." If I can only post two or three times a week, which is what it turns out I have time for - then that's just what I'll do. (The wonderful magazine Artful Blogging says you really should post every day to keep your readers interested. I think that means professional bloggers - certainly not me!) I think I'm learning that it's "quality not quantity". I am also resolving to take the time to set my pictures up better and take some better photos. If a different color placemat would look better, I'm going to take the time to run upstairs and pull it out (yes, my linens are all upstairs!) 

OK, on with buttons and pearls.
I have these old jars my Grandma left my Mom. And it turns out these jars are also in the antique stores I've been visiting. (I'm so glad I don't have to pay $10 a piece for them!) My Mom loved all of  these jars, and used them in her little decorations all around her house. I was the decorative daughter (sorry JoAnne - oh good grief, she'll never read this!) so Mom told me to take them. 
She also left me her big tin of buttons. I used to look at these for hours when I was little. We used to take the buttons off every article of clothing before we donated it to the Goodwill (can you imagine? But we all did. Course, we also used to darn socks!) In fact, just like quilt pieces where I can look at the quilt and know what dress or blouse it belonged to, I can look at a button and sometimes remember what dress it was on too. (pretty wierd huh? Anybody else do that?) 

In walking around my house, I'm slowly converting from my "HAVE TO HAVE PINK" phase, to a new, gentler phase. "Need some femininity" in the house. Not just up in my scrapudio. (I do like that name, but it's still not quite right ...) I need to add little touches here and there that don't necessarily "belong" in the house. (Yes all the designers out there would gasp, but no worries) I just want them in my home. This is our home, not a showcase. 

Well, I'm starting with my old tin of buttons, and two of my smaller old jars of buttons and pearls (beads that is) and some pretty fabric, pretty lace and ribbon, maybe a vintage earring or necklace or brooch, and have been adding things here and there. I found this really pretty little cruet at an antique store. I studied my different buttons, which I have separated into colors, and decided the ivory/white were the most feminine. Mixed some pearls and buttons together . . . and here is what happened. 

Here's the cruet.

  See the detail on it? It is so pretty.

My little jar of pearl beads . . .

The bigger jar of ivory and white vintage buttons . . .

The three pieces together . . .

I have a place for the two jars in my scrapudio, and I think I'll put the cruet in my bathroom with my pretty little glass bottle I found at the GOOD estate sale.

So that's that. Let me know what you think. I love it when you gals leave me a comment. Gives me inspiration!

Have a wonderful day! I'm off to play before my family gets home! 

OH NO! TOO LATE! THEY JUST PULLED IN THE DRIVE!!!

XOXO

[signature-1.gif]

10 comments:

Ginger said...

Karen, I think your posts are always so interesting and I love seeing your pictures. I'm having a hard time blogging right now because there is just nothing going on that's worth writing about.
I think your cruet bottle turned out cute and will look great wherever you put it. I can remember cutting buttons off of clothes before we donated them, too.
Ginger

Christine said...

I like this blog and I am with you, I just can't keep up with blogging everyday! I am really doing good to get one in a week. It leaves no time for living and to me starts to feel like a job instead of a fun place to drop a few thoughts and ideas. Not to mention I have a hard time keeping up with those who journal every single day.

Love your button and pearl jars..how pretty!

Christine said...

I am going to be in Santa Rosa next month...is that close to you?

Christine said...

Pssst..we are the Jones's LOL

Cynthia said...

Hey Girl,
I loved the pics you posted and I'm with you, I can't blog every day or I truly neglect other things. I love the story about the buttons and GW, Have a great week friend, Cindy

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Karen,
They are sooo pretty!
I love your buttons and pearls displayed this way.
It's so beautiful.

Thank you for your kind compliment on our dining room!
I'm still giggling at myself as well for not noticing those stinkin' plate rails all this time.
I kept thinking how pretty everyone elses plates looked displayed and then it hit me to just look at it closer. LOL!
What a "duh" moment huh?

Have a great week.
~Melissa :)

Melissa Miller said...

I forgot to say I only post once a week.
Maybe I'll sqeeze in a second one but it's rare.
I truly feel it's more than enough for me.
I can't imagine posting everyday...I would never think of enough to post on.

Christine said...

My car isn't fast...just cute!...lol

How did you cut your finger???? You know what I think....I think you are trying to get out of keeping up with the Jones of bloggy land!...lol

I hope you are ok and I am so sorry you cut yourself.

Shellmo said...

I loved these photos - so many pretty buttons! And I'm with you on the blogging. I used to post everyday - but now I've slowed down. Allows me more time to think about posts - and also so I'm not so caught up in the computer everyday - lol!!

Shonna @ The Shabby Queen said...

Ok...girl..first of all...Take me with you next time...lol..I love them..which one did you go too? that was 2 hours away? :) & as far as the blogging...Sure..we all want to blog more...but were does everyone have the time?...I sure dont!..Wish I did..but dont..and I just started this blog world..and I love all yours ..so dont change!all we can do is...what we can right :) and I so love your buttons & pearls you did..they are beautiful..The pic's are amazing!!! Thanks for the inspiration! Shonna XOXO