Thursday, April 9, 2009

Gone Way Too Soon

This post is not a normal post. 
It is just something I need to do. I need to talk about it. 
I know every one is touched by death. I know death well, it started for me when I was 8 when my Dad died and hasn't stopped since. 
But, this one was different. I don't know why. It just was.
We, my family, have been devastated by an accident. An accident involving no one we know personally, but yet, we all feel we knew him.  But the young man that was killed, was someone's child; someone's son. He was 22 years old,  really just beginning on his journey through life, and my family is just in shock, just devastated by what happened to him. To him and to two other young people who were killed also. And one more is clinging to life. 
All because of a drunk driver.
He was on his way for a late evening of fun with 3 friends. When a drunk driver with a suspended license ran a red light and killed them. 
His Mom is on her way across the country to join his Dad.  I cannot imagine how she is functioning. His Dad just happened to be here because Nick had called him 3 days ago and said "Dad, you need to come, because something special is going to happen Wed night." 
Little did they know. 
I have two sons. One is 20 and one is 23.  And this hit so close to home . . . I just ache for the parents of this boy. My oldest son text me with the news this morning. He was devastated. I was shocked. It affected me in a way I didn't expect. Then it hit my husband. Then we told our youngest. It's somewhat surreal. We didn't know this boy. We saw him yesterday, but we didn't "know" this boy.
Please pray for Nick. And pray for his family. 
And pray for the other two people killed. One was a 20 year old young woman named Courtney, and the other a 25 year old young man named Henry. 
And pray Jon recovers. His injuries are massive.  
These children are gone too soon. 
Way too soon.
My heart just aches.
My heart just aches

Hug your children. 

[signature-1.gif]

6 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

Oh Karen I am so sorry to hear this. Such sad news.

I will pray for the families and for you and your family as well.

Take Care,
~Melissa

Christine said...

Oh wow Karen I am so sorry to hear this. I think death is always hard yet even seems harder to take at such a young age. I am just so very sorry and will for sure and put this to prayer.

Big hugs

~CC Catherine said...

Karen, I am so sorry, and yes, I will pray for this young people and their families. I lost my older brother to an auto accident only killing him when he was 27. It's something you never really get over...It's totally heartbreaking. Praying for you too sweetie....and your family! Hugs, ~CC Catherine

Dawnie said...

oh man I feel what your feeling, I know exactly what your saying. we dont have to know anyone personally to know the depths of pain some are going thru. my prayers are going up also.

Connie said...

Dwight and his brother were at the game and couldn't believe it. Life is too short sometimes and you know that. Sorry for your pain...thinking of you today. And I agree...hug your kids and tell them you love them everyday! Connie

Ginger said...

Was this the baseball player? I think that's who you are talking about. He played here in Utah, also. So sad for someone that young to lose their life. Especially to be minding your own business and get hit by a drunk driver.
I am experiencing something similiar too. There was an 18 year old boy missing here in our home town for 19 months. His family has searched everywhere. He was found yesterday in his car, wearing the clothes he went missing in. So they think he died the same day. It looks like an accident, his suv went over the edge of a mountain, 7 miles from his home. There was so much brush that his suv couldn't be seen. A hiker found it. I feel so bad for his family. So sad.