Monday, April 27, 2009

Teacups Shelf

Way back last Fall, I was in a Goodwill store and happened upon this interesting shelf. I thought to myself "That'll be great in my scraproom!"  $12 later I was the proud owner. Got it home and realized I had looked at it backwards. The posts go down the front! Good grief - now what will I do with this thing?

Well, the other day I was reading a post at Melissa's Heart and Home ( I love her blog - if you haven't checked it out, you should. She is just s Sweetheart!) and she was laughing at how she didn't know she had plate rails on the back of her china hutch shelves. Melissa- we have had all moments like that!

And it hit me! That little shelf I bought last Nov. that's been sitting in the workshop ever since - waiting for me to give it some love - was a teacup shelf! Each little "cubbie" was a place for a cup and saucer. WHOO HOO! Just took me a little longer than I would've liked to figure out!

I immediately went to work transforming it. Once again I thought about taking pictures after I've already cleaned it up and sanded it and primed it. OH WELL! Better late than never! 

So here I am a little ways into the project. 

This is the back, which is the way I glanced at it and why I bought it (duh!)

And here is the front. This piece was disgustingly dirty. 
It was badly painted this terrible shade of green . . . yucko.

So I painted it two coats of antique white and two coats of of white.  Then I took it outside and proceeded to sand a lot of it off. My husband just looked at me and says "Whatever Dear." I just smiled. Cause I knew what I wanted it to look like!

So here it is. proudly hung with most of my teacups placed lovingly inside.



I love it! I love how it has a little of the green showing through, 
and also the antique white. 
And I get to enjoy all my wonderful teacups!

Now the wall in the dining room is looking a little bare. But never fear! I am on the hunt for a piece to put below it. It's just going to take time.  But I know what I want! 

Hope you enjoyed my little project. Have a great day!

XOXO
[signature-1.gif]

13 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

Oh Karen!!! ~WOW~
It is gorgeous!
What a beautiful transformation and it is beautiful with the teacups.
Post this on Met Monday with Susan! It would be perfect for that!

I'm still shaking my head at not knowing about my plate holders for three whole years. What a duh moment for me... LOL!

Thanks for your kind compliments on me and my blog. I really appreciate it.
Go by and pay a visit to "Elizabeth" at "Grande Occasions".
She just did an entire post on her teacup wall holder as well.
She's on my blogroll and would love to meet you!

Have a blessed week my friend.
~Melissa :)

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

We are two birds of a feather! I love your little shih tuz! I have one the same color that is the light of my life...we took in a salt and pepper colored one too. But the little golden one is the top dog. Thanks for visiting and please don't be a stranger !

Sharon said...

How beautiful! I too love teacups and one day I'll get brave enough to do a project like you have so creatively done.

prof en retraite said...

Oh Karen...What a find...and only $12!! I am so glad you figured out what it is. I am not sure that I would have. lol It's wonderful! You have done a fabulous job painting and disstressing it, too!! Love it!...Debbie

Shonna @ The Shabby Queen said...

Hey Girl! Yes...it sure was cold the other night! Iam so loving our day time..weather too...been working out in my 2 little yards..Fixing things up...I have not planted yet :(...need new roses and tomatos..but will very soon here!
Karen I love your tea shelf!! great find..I have always wanted one of those! and you painted it so beautiful!Wonderful job you did! You have inspired me!:)
Thanks for sharing it!Enjoy your week.Blessing's Shonna XOXO

Shonna @ The Shabby Queen said...

oh...almost forgot! :) Love your new beach pic!! XOXO

Christine said...

You are always busy with something! How pretty all your tea cups look on it as well! What a beautiful shelf!

Ginger said...

I love those teacup shelves. You really got a good deal on the price you paid.
It looks great painted white with your teacups in it!!

Cynthia said...

Karen,
Well my lovely CA friend, this is just the neatest thing! You did a great job on it and I love the story about hubby shaking his head. hehe, your teacups are so so pretty. Melissa is right, you should post this on Met. Monday. You have so many beautiful projects to share. Hugs, Cindy

Allidink said...

How awesome! It looks so nice! I have never seen a tea cup shelf, that is so cool! I want one LOL.

All the best,
Allison

Sharon said...

Thanks for the Anniversary congrats. and for following my blog. God Bless, Sharon

April said...

Nice job.....I'm very impressed with how you turned a Goodwill find into something beautiful!

Joy Campbell said...

I love it Karen it looks perfect, no matter what Mark thinks..wink

Hugs

Joy