Thursday, May 7, 2009

Excited and terrified!


I am so excited about one of my birthday presents! I told you in my last post that I would show you what my friend Joy made for me. Well here it is.

It's a beautiful tote bag. 


Look at all the detail! So many vintage jewels, buttons and laces. 

This was just a plain old canvas bag. She painted it, stamped it, 
sewed it up with pretty fabric, and then added all the finishing touches!

I wish you could see it in person, it is just AWESOME! 
Thank you Joy! I love it, love it, love it!!!!!

Now - I can hear you asking what on earth I need this for. Well remember I told you I was going to a weekend class called "An Artisitic Affair Printemps" on May 30th? Joy MADE me sign up (hehehe) and I was nervous at first, but now I am so excited!  You have to bring some materials and tools with you to personalize the items we are going to make. So now I will be carrying my tools and treasures in style! WHOO HOO! Joy knew I needed this, so she made me the perfect gift! 

BUT! Here comes the terrified part! (For those of you have participated in a "swap" before, beare with me.) I never have. Didn't even know what the heck a swap was until about 3 months ago. Anyway- I signed up for one and we will be "swapping" at the Affaire! Our names are picked randomly and we are assigned a "partner". So we will be making each other our own little creation of what the "swap" is. Some people swap cards, trading cards- who knows . . . all kinds of things.  This swap is a birdhouse. You can make it as fun as you want. But of course, you want to make it nice, you want the other person to really like it! Well I knew what I wanted to do, ran out, bought all the stuff, started painting it and adding things on until I got an Email telling me that the partners had been chosen, to go to a certain website and see who our partner is and what color and style they like! 
DUH!
OK, so the first birdhouse was pink and frilly and phoophoo! I love it, and am going to keep it - don't know what for, maybe just to remind me what a dork I was! 

So now I am back at square one. Plain old birdhouse. 


And my wonderful partner's favorite color? 
Black.
OK, go with this Karen, you can do it. So I start thinking black and cream toile . . . black and white, black and blue, get those creative juices flowing! 

So here is a pile of some of my ideas. From buttons to stones, I have to come up with something I hope she adores. I want her to be happy - how embarrassing would it be if she looks at it and thinks "yuck!" I know, I won't know what she is thinking. But still! This is very important to me.

SO!  I need to make this right! My first one! Man! The pressure is on. But it's so FUN!!!

Anyway - that's my stress right now! I'm off to Lowes to see if they have any black and white tile I can break up . . . you never know what you'll find at the hardware store! 

XOXOXO

[signature-1.gif]

12 comments:

April said...

I can't wait to see what you come up with!!!

Christine said...

I can not wait to see what you come up with here! Is this an online swap? I did one on line one and it was fun yet it stressed me a little..wanted her to like it...ok, pffft...love it!

I wished you and Connie lived closer to Santa Rosa! Looking forward to my little get a way yet at the same time going to miss the hubby! Oh and you guys too!...lol hugs and happy Mothers day!

Shanda said...

It's gonna be fun to watch this bird house transpire. You will make it grand and I'm sure she will be awe struck when she see it. Now, hurry up and stop keeping us waiting. We wanna see.

Shellmo said...

Your tote is just so pretty! And I'm looking forward to seeing what you do w/ the birdhouse. I have a log cabin one I just finish decorating but I'm not 100% pleased w/ it. Now I want to make one for my guestroom.

Ginger said...

I love the tote bag!!! It turned out so cute.
I would be a nervous wreck too, but I think however the birdhouse turns out, it will be a big hit. Black and white will be pretty and different. And if your swap partner doesn't like it, give her my name and tell her to send it my way.

Christine said...

hey you...did you get my email? My addy is christinelynn39@yahoo.com

Connie said...

What beautiful tote she made for you! You are going to be toting in style to your getaway. Can't wait to see the finished birdhouse and I know she will like it...your gifts are always good ones!

Connie

~CC Catherine said...

OOOOhhhhhh Karen! I LOVE THAT PINK embellished bag you got for your b'day! LOVE IT! ;) And, you will have so much fun creating that black themed bird house! ;) Can't wait to see the finished product friend! ;) ~CC Catherine

Cynthia said...

Karen,
Cool bag and oh you'll do just so wonderful! I can see the black toile birdhouse is going to be grand! Can't wait to see it, Cindy

Allidink said...

Toile is a great idea! It will break up too much black :) Love the tote.

All the best,
Allison

Joyce said...

You seem pretty creative to me so I'm sure whatever you come up with will be pretty.

Love the tote bag! She could sell those for sure.

Theresa said...

The tote is gorgeous and let's just say the 1st birdhouse would be beautiful in my Georgia home:) Have a blessed day!