Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Goodwill tale . . .

A funny thing happened at the Goodwill store last week.

I've had my eye on this old, beat up china hutch. In mid April it was marked $199.99. Too much. But I kept my eye on it, going in every week to see what else was new and would always end up in front of that hutch. End of April, it got marked down to $99.99. Hmmmmmm. I really liked it - could see way past all the dirt and scratches to what I wanted it for . . . but a hundred bucks? Still too much. Kept going back and last week I stood in front of it thinking, "It's meant to be - that's why it's still here." I have had no luck finding anything else on Craig's list or at yard sales. So I turned to walk up to the counter to tell the lady I wanted it. And from over the loud speaker came the announcement "Don't forget shoppers! Today's 1/2 price tag color is BLUE, and anything with a blue tag is 1/2 price!" 

Low and behold . . . BLUE TAG!

SOLD!

Fifty bucks! Oh my goodness! Was I a happy camper!

So here it is in the workshop in two pieces.










It's pretty beat up, but boy oh boy - do I have plans for it! And it has all the glass too. It is currently standing tall in the garage, half way done. I hope to finish sanding it today and begin finishing it.

Did I mention my husband had a major coniption fit? I called to tell him I was on my way to trade him vehicles and told him I had bought a piece of furniture. He said "No problem Honey - I'll pick it up for you on my way home from work." What a guy! 

I was waiting out front for him when he pulled up. Took one look at his face. Uh oh. Not happy. Uh oh. Every fiber in my body screamed "RUN!" But I stood there and took it like a woman!

"What the #**@!*!*# were you thinking Karen? Where is this piece of *@#*!!#** going to go in this house?"

"Uhhhhh . . . could you trust me on this one, like you have in the past?"

"WOMEN!"

Allllllll righty then . . . I better make it good. 

Well, while we were in Paso Robles last weekend, (Did I mention it was 108 degrees up there?) we went inside this little shop to borrow their air conditioning for a few minutes. And right there by the door was a beautiful armoire. I looked at Mark and told him "This is what I want the hutch to look like." And he looked at me and said "That piece of junk taking up all the room in my workshop?" 
"Yup." 
"Wow Honey, if you do that - I'm on board!" 

WHOO HOO!!!!!! 

Well . . . I've spent TWENTY TWO AND ONE-HALF HOURS sanding. three straight days of doing nothing else. (I think my arms and fingers are going to fall off! I'm having charlie horses in places I didn't even know I had muscles!) And I think I finally have it to where I want. It has the most beautiful color wood underneath all that goopy stain. And we BOTH love it. I DID GOOD!!!  And for only 50 bucks! Well and about $100 in materials to get it looking like I wanted. But still! :)

I hope to have it inside and loaded up with my pretty dishes and things this week. I'll keep you posted!


[signature-1.gif]

12 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

Very neat piece Karen.
What a buy and I can't wait to see it!

Happy Memorial Day!
~Melissa :)

Nina Diane said...

can't wait to see it!

Cathy said...

Karen,
Thank you so much for praying for sweet little Connor!!! It means the world to me and I know his family is grateful for all the prayers!!!

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!!!
XOXO
Cathy

I can't wait to see you finished masterpiece!!!

Michelle said...

OMGOSH $50.00!!! I can't believe your score! Awesome! How exciting! I can't wait to see the transformation...take lots of pics!
Michelle

Ginger said...

I love how you tell that story, Karen. I am cracking up over Mark's response. He doesn't know what a great deal you really got. I saw a hutch like that in a thrift store in our town...had a price tag of $550 on it, and it said "Hold". Someone had either purchased it, or was thinking about it. It was gone next time I was in there. I couldn't believe the expensive price and they sold it.
You really got a steal and I bet it will be gorgeous when you are done with it.
Ginger

Theresa said...

Wow, can't wait to see the finished product. "Men don't know nuttin bout bargains" :)

Shellmo said...

So glad you got a good deal!! Maybe that's the part you need to emphasize to hubby to cool him down- LOL!!!

fiberdoodles said...

Hi Karen,

Thank you for stopping by. OMG is this blogging fun? Who would have thought. I love your blog, isn't Amber the greatest!

I laughed so hard while reading your story on the hutch. You can't imagine what all I try to get in a Honda (LOL). And there is something about that word "WOMAN" in the male tone. I can't tell you the number of times I have sent my husband dumpster diving (ha). I can't wait to see how it has turned out, I'm sure it will be lovely.

Take care,
Sharon

Connie said...

Why didn't God give me an ounce of that kind of creativity???? Can't wait to see what you end up with. I can just see Mark in the driveway...Dwight would have said the same thing and more and would still be complaining under his breath about all the work he was going to have to do because you see he is the one with all the creative juices in our family.

Connie

Allidink said...

haha awesome! Can't wait to see how it comes along.

All the best,
Allison

Cindy said...

Hi Karen,
Great story I can't wait to see the reveal! I bet it will be fabulous and your hubby will be so proud. Sounds like a lot of work in that hot CA sun. What a gal! hugs, Cindy

Debilou~Mississippi Mama said...

Wow ,, you got a good deal. Its very similar to a hutch that my mom has had for years. I dont know if its the same one though. Cant wait to see the results.