Tuesday, May 26, 2009

New hutch!


Yup! It's done! YAY!

BOY! That was just a ton of work. When my friend Joy came over on Friday, she kinda looked at me like I was out of my mind and said "I would've just painted it Karen." Well, that was what I intended to do, but when I discovered it had such pretty wood I couldn't bear to just cover it all up just to sand some of it off again. 

So I sanded. And sanded. And sanded some more. 
Final tally of hours spent sanding was at almost 26.

But look at how pretty the details are. Who could cover those up?

I had wanted just a very light matte polyurethane finish, but after trying two different kinds, couldn't find one that worked well. Joy had suggested glazing it.  Since I was painting the back "wall" and the bottom shelves a creamy buttermilk color to match the color of the wood anyway, I opted to try the glazing. I had never done this before. 

This is it yesterday morning standing proudly 
in the garage before painting and glazing.

And here it is almost finished! (The color of the picture is not true. It's a very creamy buttery yellow.) I took this shot last night. At about 6:45 I just flat out ran out of energy. I had started at 8:45 yesterday morning with the glazing and painting, and by dinner I was just - DONE. I did not have even one more ounce of energy to apply the handles last night. So I got up early today and first thing this morning I finished it off. Only one casualty - the upper middle door glass was broken, so need to go to the glass shop today and order a new piece.  The light was a 35 year old electricity guzzler, so my darling husband went to the hardware store yesterday afternoon and picked me up a new florescent fixture and installed it for me. I'm just so tickled he likes the piece. It was scary there for a while!!! LOL

It was a ton of work. But I LOVE it. And even better? MARK LOVES IT TOO!!! WHOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!

Now to load it up. At first I thought I'd put all my good china in it. But . . . it's in a hallway - not in the dining room, so I've opted to just place some of my pretty things that I long to gaze at in it. Maybe once I get this out of my system, I'll change the dining room hutches around and incorporate my good china into those. But for now - it's just for my special eye candy!

Now remember I live in earthquake country. This just sooooooooo hinders me when it comes to putting out my pretty special sentimental pieces. I try to take precautions, but when a piece is priceless to you, I just have a hard time putting it at risk. These are not just someone else's antiques. These are my family history. Just too special to leave to chance.

Currently, all of my Mom's china is up here 
on the very top shelf of my kitchen pantry. 
(how embarrassing - but hey, you know me . . . tell it like it is.)

All of this is my Mom's Candlewick. And my sister got the other half! 
She loved this stuff. It makes me nervous!

I got it all down, opened up, looked through it and . . . I thought I'd try putting out my very, very favorite china. It was my Grandparents. This was their everyday dishes they used on the diary farm up in Washington. Each granddaughter got two place settings.  It's actually not even a place setting, just a dinner plate and salad plate. And I am unable to find it on Replacements.com so if anyone has another idea how to find more - please let me know!

Here it is, ready to be admired daily.


And here it is going right back into it's nice safe packing. 
I hear you!!!! "Chicken!" I am. I really do need to get over this!





The hallway is really wide for a hallway - 
but not so good for taking pictures. 


Let me introduce you to a staple in California. 
"Quake Hold". You get it at any hardware store. 
They use it in all of the museums out here.

You roll it into little snakes or peas and adhere it your piece. 
The idea is to hold everything from sliding around 
or falling off shelves or walls during a quake. 

Can you see it? It is on the back rim of one of the cloches. 

And it works. Having experienced several rather large quakes, and one, the Whittier quake in 1987 nearly destroyed all of my stoneware I had purchased in Colorado when we were first married. I learned my lesson the hard way. But I think that quake was the first real "wake-up" call to So. Cal. It was the first big one since the Sylmar quake when I was in 7th grade.  

BUT ALL OF THIS IS ANOTHER POST! I keep getting sidetracked!

Anyway - I have my new fifty buck hutch all pretty and safe. 

All my Mom's wonderful Candlewick is now much easier to access. 
Maybe I'll even start using it now that I can get to it. 


View from the east end of hall looking towards 
front entry and living room. The color on the wall 
above the fireplace is the true color.


View from the west end; from front entry looking towards office.


And this is the best shot I can get of it in one piece.

DONE! I was going to share everything I placed inside, but this post has ended up being really long! So again, another post for another day.

Thanks for visiting with me.  Let me know what you think about my fifty buck hutch! :) In the meantime - I'm off to order a new piece of glass . . . 

Have a great day everyone!

XOXOXO
[signature-1.gif]

18 comments:

Debilou~Mississippi Mama said...

WOW WOW WOW,, THAT IS BEAUTIFUL! You did a wonderful job of re-doing it. I'm not sure thats the same as my moms now..

"Blossom" said...

Amazing; you did a wonderful job with this piece. Your dishes are so pretty.

Theresa said...

You know you did good when everyone says Wow and amazing, so WOW and AMAZING. You turned that $50 into something so beautiful. But... the number of hours you put into it is worth so much. You really had a vision to see past what it looked like when you bought it. Great job!!!!!

Cathy said...

Oh my!!! This is wonderful!!! I can't believe you did all of that in one day!!! It turned out beautifully!!! Well done!!!

Enjoy you beautiful piece and get some rest!!!
XOXO
Cathy

Nina Diane said...

It looks great! You did an awesome job......

Cathy said...

Karen,
I feel so much better now!!! I was beginning to feel a little lazy!!! Still...so much work...amazing!!!
It really did turn out wonderfully!!!

XOXO
Cathy

Cindy said...

OMG Karen!
This is fabulous, your hubby must be mighty proud and he will never doubt you again! You must be one sore girl. I loved all the pics and especially the one facing into your lovely living room. Who would of known they had quake stickies? I guess you would if you lived is So.CA. LOL. I have to be sure I don't post when I am tired My title does sound like new hubby, hehe, won't he be surprised! Hugs, and love that hutch! Cindy

grammy said...

Wow! that is really beautiful. Tons of work I am sure. Your moms china looks great in it (o: I do not have you energy to do a project like that. I was cleaning my kitchen all day today and dragging tonight. (o:

Melissa Miller said...

Karen it really turned out gorgeous!!! You really worked hard on it.
Love all the accecories you displayed inside.

I have never heard of quake hold. I sure you don't end up putting it to use.

I would definitly enjoy seeing more photos of your beautiful home. ~WOW~!

Have a blessed day.
~Melissa :)

Connie said...

Wow! You did good....it's beautiful! Looks good with all your pretties in it too! I never knew about the earthquake stuff but use the traditional ticky tacky. :)
But then you were our Earthquake Awareness Chairman on PTA years ago and a mighty good one too!

Love ya, Connie

P.S. I think it's worth way more than $50 bucks now!!!

Sher's Creative Expressions said...

Stunnning, absolutely stunning!!! Love it!!

Blessings,

Sher

LdyDy said...

Karen...first of all..the hutch came out just beautiful and looks fabulous in your home. You did a really good job! I am totally relating!! I am in the process of refinishing my grandmother's secretary hutch. I posted on the progress. Argggh..so much work! I am stripping a white paint my sister slapped onto it years ago. I am refinishing it to hopefully look like it did when my grandmother purchased it from the Angelus Furniture Co. in L.A. many years ago. I started laughing when I saw your Quake Hold!! Ha...I keep that stuff on hand for all my dishes too! I too live in Southern Cal. and remember that Sylmar quake in '71..it was my first day of 10th grade in a new school. I'll never forget it! Anyway...sorry for blabbing on...again your hutch came out beautiful! Hugs!

Shellmo said...

This turned out absolutely gorgeous!! You did a great job - your arms must hurt from all that sanding - lol! Glad you won the hubby over with it!

Ginger said...

Karen, you do beautiful work!!! It turned out amazing. I am so glad that Mark likes it too. I could just picture his face when you first brought it home, lol.
It looks good in the hallway with all your pretties in it. I would of gotten too overwhelmed with all the sanding, and would of gave up.
When I lived in Calif. I was lucky to never have any losses from the earthquakes.
I hope you decide to use the dishes more, and really enjoy them.

Jeanne said...

Well, Miss Karen, you are an official, full fledged furniture refinisher. Congrats on the lovely piece--it looks amazing in the hall and your pictures are fantastic. Your home looks lovely as usual, and it's nice to see you enjoying your lovely pieces. More power to ya!

A Hint of Home said...

What a great job you did! It is such a large, pretty piece. I know it was a lot of work for you but what an enjoyment you will get out of seeing it everyday.
I just bought some candlewicking pieces. You've got to post yours sometime. I would love to see them.
Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog.

Carrie said...

You did a nice job of refinishing the hutch...it is wonderful to see the wood grain. What fun it must have been to display your nice dishes and crystal in your 'new' hutch!

Bonnie said...

Wow - that was a ton of work! you did a great job. It really looks good.