Friday, June 12, 2009

The Lord works in mysterious ways . . .


I'm so happy to be participating in another "Show and Tell Friday" hosted by the darling Kelli at There's No Place Like home. Thank you Kelli! Please be sure to visit her blog, and visit all the other wonderful Show and Tell participants this week! 

Now I know, back in Mid April I did an entire post 
about how this special "box" came to be in my house - 
But this post is about something very special inside the box.

So if you want to hear how the Lord works in mysterious ways, read on!

You may or may not know my Mom died in 1998 from Ovarian cancer. She struggled through it for 4 1/2 years.  And when they looked at us and muttered those two horrible words "it's back", after already treating it three times, she looked at my sister and I and said "I'm tired." And we said it was OK. Those were hard words to say but we knew it was time. So we let it run it's course for the very last time. 

My sister is an RN. She worked full time. I didn't. I was fortunate to be a SAHM. So I took care of my Mom for most of those 4 1/2 years. Taking her to all of her chemo appointments, all of her Dr. appts. But I made sure we had lots of fun times too! She was my very best friend and I knew it would hit me hard when I lost her, but I kept thinking she'd be so much better off. Her body was just so tired.  

Mom was fortunate to be able to stay in her own home until the end of her days. Hospice came in every day, and she required little actual care - she just needed someone to be with her. She wasn't on any pain meds or anything, so we were very blessed in that respect. She died a very quiet and peaceful death. 

About two weeks before she died, Hospice warned me to get ready. If there were any arrangements that needed to be made, do it now. It's much easier to do them before you lose your loved one. So I did. My husband and I made all the funeral arrangements. And then I began packing up her home. My sister left the entire process up to me. I just began packing. And packing. I packed up her entire life pretty much. I took everything I thought might be important, photos, papers, books etc. to my house, leaving what we could sell at the estate sale behind. (I could just shoot myself for not keeping more, but it just hurt at the time.) I did not pack carefully. I pretty much threw things in boxes, labeled what room they had come from and just kept at it. I cleared out an extra bedroom we had in our home and began piling all of the boxes in there. I finished about 2 days after her funeral. 

I did not want to even think about opening the door into that room, because it was literally wall to wall, floor to ceiling boxes. There were at least 60 boxes in there. Full of my Mom. I just thought I could ignore it awhile, until it didn't hurt so much.

Until I got a phone call from my Auntie Belva. My Mom's sister. The day after I finished packing up the house.
 
"Karen - did you find the pin?" 
"What pin?" 
"The propellor pin."
Now I had been through all Mom's jewelry and I knew there was no such pin. "No - didn't find a propellor pin." 
"Well Sweetheart, when you do, your Mom wanted you to have it." 
"She did? What is it?"
"It is a pin your Dad gave to me."

HUH?

And then she told me the story. (Anything having to do with my Dad always fascinated me, cause I didn't really know him.) So before my Dad went off to war, he had bought two of these "propellor" pins. He gave one to each of my Mom's sisters and asked them to take care of my Mom while he was gone. And Auntie Belva had given hers to Mom to help her through her days of chemo.

Now Mom never said a word of this to me, and I'd never seen her wear the pin. I had given her an Angel pin to help her through the chemo, and she wore that one all the time.

Well now my Aunt's got me thinking, where is this pin?

Well, there's only one way to find out - go through everything. Now like I said, I packed hastily, not bothering to really "look" at what I was packing. But I knew Mom would never, ever have thrown anything as special as that pin away. My Dad had died when I was 8, and she loved him just as much the day she died as she did the day he died. They had one of those forever loves. Even being alone for 32 years, she stayed devoted to only him. 
 
Well I put off the search for a few weeks, I just had no desire to go through everything - my heart was just broken in two. 

And then I finally decided one morning - this was going to drive me nuts, it'll probably take me weeks to find it, just begin. I had already taken the kids to school. I was just hibernating. So I opened the door to that room and stood there. Oh MAN! There were soooooo many boxes. Good grief where do I start? How on earth am I ever going to find it?

Well, I walked in and plucked a box down from on top of one of the stacks, and took it out in the hall. I sat down on the floor and took the lid off and the first thing I saw was a card case my boys had given her. They collected baseball cards and they always gave her all the Dodger cards they got because she was the biggest Dodger fan EVER! I laughed to think she had actually kept them all, and curious which ones were in this particular case, I opened it up. 

And right there, sitting on top of the cards . . . was the pin.

That is my Mom's baby picture I have it sitting on in my box.  
Can you see - it's a propellor mounted on Angel's wings. 

Out of all the boxes in that room . . . the first one I touch . . . the first thing I touch in the box . . . has the pin in it.

I still get goosebumps just thinking about it. 

Now don't you agree that the Lord works in mysterious ways? 


[signature-1.gif]

20 comments:

Mieke said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. It seems to come right out of a book or a romantic movie. Isn't life the most wonderful journey ? It gave me goosebumps too.

Allidink said...

Totally. What a sweet story :) I love those old propeller pins. How perfect that you found it right away and it looks so cute in the box next to her picture :)

All the best,
Allison

Theresa said...

Wow, this is the first post I read this morning and it brought tears to my eyes. I lost my Mama in 1988 and my Daddy in 2006. The pain dulls but never goes away. The pin is beautiful and I am so happy you found it. Thanks for sharing this part of your life with us, sad and happy! Love to all!

Just me said...

Beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing!!

ceekay said...

Wonderful story! I love those kind of stories....I am so sorry for the loss of your mom. I am fighting the same battle right now. I am so glad you have such wonderful memories of your time with her.

Boo-Bah said...

What a lovely sweet story. I know the pin must mean the world to you. I am glad you found it so quickly. Yes God certainly does work in mysterious ways, that amazes all of us.

Iris

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a beautiful story - thanks for sharing.
Glenda

Briana said...

Ahhhh.

Ginger said...

I love that you found it in the first box along with the baseball cards.
It's hard to lose someone when they are battling cancer and they have just had enough. I'm glad that you were strong enough to let her go.

Tracy said...

Wow, what a wonderful story. Thank you so much for sharing it. The Lord takes such good care of us, doesn't he?
Tracy

Cindy said...

OMG Karen,
This post was so touching and it touched my heart in such a profound way. The pin is such a keepsake! It must have been tough losing your parents at such a young age. My Dad passed away 2 years ago, and it's still kind of raw at times. I think it is wonderful that you got to spend that time with your Mom, I know about the best friend thing, I just hope my Daughter feels that way some day too. Hugs my friend, Cindy

A Hint of Home said...

I got goose bumps, too. How special that you found the pin. Thanks for sharing the lovely story.
My Mom has chosen to stay alone for 26 years, too.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

What a sweet story.
I enjoyed reading your blog this afternoon...Had some time to do some blog hopping

Hope you will visit me. This month I am posting on our Disney trip.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I do!

Carrie said...

What a wonderful touching story...I'm sorry to hear of your loss of your dear Mother. My elder brother succumed to cancer in April 2006, just two months after having surgery and one week after radiation therapy.

Christine said...

Oh Karen..this is such a beautiful story and I for one thank you so much for sharing it. I am so glad you were able to locate that pin and what a neat spot you found it in.

I honestly got goosebumps reading this! =o)


Hugs and blessings on you

Melissa Miller said...

Oh Karen I have tears for your moving story. What an amazing woman your Mom was and you too for caring for her in her time of need.
I'm so glad you have that beautiful pin. It was meant to be for sure.

~Bless you. ~Melissa

LdyDy said...

What a beautiful story. I believe the Lord wanted to settle your mind and soul. It was meant for you to find it that way. How sweet that your mom was a Dodger fan! I too am an avid fan and she would be pleased that they are way out in first place with with the best standings in both leagues! Thanks for sharing your story and the beautiful pin. Huggy Hugs!

Shellmo said...

This touched my heart! I'm so glad you found that beautiful pin!

Connie said...

What a sweet story. I loved your mom. She was the best and loved you so much. How neat you found the pin and thanks to Auntie Belva...you know the story. That's the part I love. The story!!!

Love ya, Connie