Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Tablescape Thursday


Hi everyone. What I hate the most about this fun event being on Thursday, is that I work on Thursday, and I don't really get to sit down and drool over everyone's posts until I get home. Make sure you head over to Susan's at Between Naps On The Porch to see what I'm talkin' about! There are so many wonderful people who participate in this and it is so inspirational! She is a great hostess, and to think she does all this and works full time too! My gosh! Way to go Susan.

I want to start with what I did last night, so that I could participate tonight. I hit the Farmer's Market! Fresh, locally grown summer produce. It's just the best.

I set it out on the kitchen table to nibble on
and to inspire me for tonight's menu.




The tomatoes are so sweet and the peppers are too.

And the cherries! Nothing says summer better than Cherries.
These are Rainier Cherries. They are just the best.

And the white peaches this year are DIVINE!




Ahhhhh avocados.

So what did I come up with for dinner tonight?
Well, I started out by going back to the market to get some fresh Basil,
some Bing cherries and some apricots.
Picked up a nice fresh free range chicken and
some Yukon Gold potatoes.




Let's start with some fresh fruit and
some tomato, mozzarella and basil salad.





Well, hubby is home now, chicken is on the BBQ
as are the potatoes, peppers and onions.
I guess I need to get serious here!
Pour the wine and . . .

Time to eat!!!!!


Almost forgot! Here is the recipe to the Dirt Cake I shared a few posts ago. The only thing I think I would change, would be to add worms IN the layers of dirt, as well as the outside.



8" flower pot - NEW
1 large pkg Oreo cookies - (purged by the food processor until crumbly and looks like dirt)
4 Tbsp butter - softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
3 1/2 cups milk
2 small pkg. vanilla pudding
12 oz. Cool Whip
1 pkg gummy worms

Cream together butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar. Set aside. Mix milk, pudding and cool whip. Gradually add this to the creamed mixture previously set aside. Mix well. Line flower pot with tin foil. Place 1" of cookie crumb "dirt" in bottom; a layer of filling - another layer of "dirt" and another layer of filling. Place the remaining "dirt" on top and display with the "worms" Add flowers (wrap the stems in saran wrap).

Makes one "cake".

Serve with a toy shovel.

ENJOY!!!


[signature-1.gif]

17 comments:

Cindy said...

OOOH Karen,
You did so good! I need to borrow you lilac tablecloth, it would go perfect with my dishes! Your china is so so pretty and the produce and menu sound fabulous and low cal! Cherries are my favorite fruit! Love this, you creative gal! Hugs, Cindy

Shelia said...

Beautiful table! Love all the fresh bright colors of the fruit on your table! Your china is divine!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Beautiful....love the look....

A Hint of Home said...

Hi Karen,
Everything looks delicious! Your china and table are pretty, too.
I just finished a bag of cherries. They were sooooooo sweet. Thanks so much for posting the "dirt cake". I copied it down already. How many pots would that recipe fill?
Have a great day.

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

Okay, what time should we show up? This looks so wonderful. Love the dishes and love your inspiration from the farmers market. The tomato salad looks divine!

Christi

Barb~Bella Vista said...

Hi Karen, your table is adorable. I love the colors and the lush feeling. Love the sunflowers and fresh fruit and veggies.

Thanks for following Bella Vista...looking forward to getting to know you.

Barb

Fifi Flowers said...

Oooooh you have a YUMMMMMY table!

~CC Catherine said...

Hey Karen, SUPER Thursday post! I LOVE the fresh fruit and veggies...makes me want to go gardening...and picking the veggies and fruit on a local farm. Those white peaches look luscious! Your tablescape looks divine! Miss you friend! Long summer here...and too much sadness. :( Have to look at the blessings we do have in summers like this... Hugs Friend! ~CC Catherine

Theresa said...

Beautiful and looks delicious too! Colorful vegetables and the china is very pretty! Gotta try the dirt cake too! Have a blessed day!

grammy said...

Thanks for the great pictures and the recipe. I really need to make that for my grands. I took the time to catch up on past posts. That was a very touching video.
What part of Colorado will you be in on vacation?

Ginger said...

Karen, everything looks so summery and good. I love fresh fruit, too.
Are those just regular clay flower pots that you use for the cake?
I guess I assumed they would crack in the oven.

Brenda said...

Oh my! You work and you have a blog and you manage to make food like this! Well, I'm a slacker for sure then! It's official now. Sigh...
Brenda

Allidink said...

So cute! Love those dirt cups ;) Great idea for the produce theme! Love all the fresh produce we get in summer :) Especially cherries yum!

All the best,
Allison

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Love the color on your table! I'm wanting to come over and have some of that tomato mozzerella salad - yum! Thanks for your sweet visit.

Betty said...

Hi Karen ...I just found you on Allison's blog ... I just love your story telling and your sense of humor ... I get the feeling that you are a fun loving person.. and I also love all your 'stuff' ..I could move right in.... Just wanted to share that.
Hugz ... Betty

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Oooh, the anticipation as you led us through this, I was hungry!! Everything looks great, the china is so pretty!

Now I want to go to the market and get some fresh fruit and veggies, especially the cherries!

I also enjoyed reading your profile!

Katherine

Christine said...

Sheeesh now I am hungry! I love everything you do...you already know that though!...hugs