Saturday, August 15, 2009

Antiques and Vintage Treasures


Well I got up this morning and cleaned the motorhome. I have to laugh at that because it takes all of 15 minutes. Hmmmmmmm . . . Maybe there is something to be said for living in a 40 foot long space compared to a 4000 sqr ft. one. HA! But clean it I did as the guys will be here tonight. They left home at 5 this morn. with Dad getting the first driving shift. Huh. Imagine that? Why wouldn't the 20 or the 24 yr old want to drive at 5 am? :)
So while toodleing around my little space this morning, I got a bee in my bonnet about wanting to see all the fun things I've found on my trip. Yup, I have been doing plenty of shopping. Every town we are in, I do a little research and find the cutest little antique stores I can. And the motorhome was becoming quite . . . full? GEE!! No way!! Really?

So I figured now was as good a time as any to take it all out and repack it in a more orderly way. Get rid of all the dirty newspaper, just condense in general.

Then I thought, Heck, why not make a post out of it.
So here we go!

First and foremost - my most sought after item
which I finally found in Colorado Springs.
My dress form. Did I want purple? Not exactly, but . . .
Considering it is the only one I've seen on the trip
I am ecstatic that I am bringing her home with me!
Her name? Lillian.

Lillian you ask? Where did I come up with that?
Well, reading this!

How wonderful of Nora Roberts to write a book
based in the Black Hills of South Dakota
right as I get to visit there for the first time.
And the main character's name?
Why Lillian of course!

My 2nd most sought after prized possession I found about
4 minutes after I found Lillian! You should've heard me GASP!!!
A 1911 Journal/Ledger.
It must weigh 20#, I kid you not. I will weigh it when we get home.
I could read this for hours. There is something which just fascinates
me when reading people's names, and how much money they spent
on "grain" and gas. And from 1911? My Mom wasn't even born yet.
It's awesome to really think about.



Next, I found the UGLIEST hat here in Pagosa Springs. Someone had
taken these beautiful old milinery flowers and glued them
onto an old stocking cap. So I proceeded to take them off.
Lots of uses for these flowers.
Doesn't look like there are many of them but there are over 30.
I placed them in my next jewel of a find to show you . . .

My Vintage milk glass punch bowl set!
It came with the base, the bowl and 9 cups. I didn't unwrap all the cups.
(You should see the mess I've already made!)



LOVE IT!!!

I did find another darling little vintage hat with gorgeous
milinery flowers on it. I was going to give it to Joy
for her birthday but . . .

This little rat ATE IT! (Who? Me?)
I caught her when it was just torn to shreds.
But I managed to save some of the flowers.

It was just sooooo cute. sigh.

Anyway - on to more FUN THINGS!
I am always on the lookout for soup tureens.
BINGO!

Got some wonderful silver pieces!



There is a darling little antique store here in Pagosa Springs.
She is finally retiring, and everything was 40% off!
WHOO HOOO!!!!!
I just could not resist this set. sigh.

And found these cute little fruit bowls in So. Dakota.


Well, enough for today. Gotta get this place cleaned up . . .

GASP AGAIN!

AAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!


Better!
Lots more goodies to share another day!
Have a good evening everyone!

[signature-1.gif]

19 comments:

Theresa said...

Hey Karen, You are really finding some goodies! Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip once all your fellas get there! Love to all and have a blessed day!

Mieke said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun lately !

marty39 said...

You really did find some wonderful treasures. I love all the pretty dishes, and the milkglass punchbowl is wonderful. Have fun on your trip. Hugs, Marty

Cindy said...

That's so funny Karen! You have that bed storage just packed to the gills with goodies! Way to go on all your good finds, what are you planning with that dress form? Love the tureen and the punchbowl too. Enjoy your boys and the rest of your trip! Hugs, Cindy

linda said...

You sure hit the jackpot with all of your great finds. My mom has that same exact milk glass punch bowl set. She picked it up at a thrift store in Colorado last year. I'd love to find one for myself! Colorado seems to be the place to find milk glass punch bowl sets!

Shelley said...

Great items! I love those plates and the soup tureen especially!! Looks like you have a lot of storage in that RV!!

Ginger said...

Your post just updated on my blog. Hope the guys made it safely. That's great that there is 3 of them to share the driving.
Wow, you really found some neat things. Go glad you found your dress form. What are you going to do with Lillian now? Little Jorja looks so sweet and innocent, are you sure she did all that damage? lol.
I love the plates with the lilac roses, gorgeous. And the old journal is really cool. I love stuff like that too. I picture "Little house on the prairie" and Mrs. Olson writing in it.
It's great that you have so much storage in the coach. Hope Mark doesn't want to buy anything. lol. Oh I forgot, you have the boys trailer to store stuff in too. Hey that calls for more shopping!!

Dawn said...

Oh my gosh girl, I hope you packed light when you set out at the start of this trip. You'll be tying things to the roof by the time you get home!

Can't blame you though. Who wouldn't love a cross country shopping spree. You had so many neat things there...the journal is wonderuful. I just love the colors on the outside and the penmenship inside.

It is nice to live in a home that means so much to hubby, and me too. It somehow feels safe and peaceful knowing his family has been tuning these glass doorkonbs and running their hands along the bufffet as they walked by for 70 some years. It's funny little things like those that make me think of them everyday.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Dawn

Stephenie said...

Karen,
I love you blog to..I'm so glad you came to visit me with such cheer..Now, I have somewhere new to visit..
I love all your new vintage treasures..Especially the millinery flowers.. I also love your post of your trip..That would be so much fun loading up into an RV and hitting the road.. Your scrap room is amazing. I'm trying to get my creating space done.. IT's taking forever..I love the bright green walls..That makes me laugh how your son said "There's to much pink!" My son always says the same thing..
I also wanted to tell you..You have such a beautiful home..Love the post of you taking us on a tour of your home.. The exterior Paint turned out so pretty..Love the colors..Although, not sure what it looked like before..
Anyway, I'll be back soon!!
Stephenie

Melissa Miller said...

Welcome back Karen!
We've all missed you in Blogland!

It looks like you found some amazing treasures on your travels. What a beautiful compote and the dress form, oops I mean "Lillian" are gorgeous! I can't wait to see where you display her lovliness.

Thanks for your kind words on our garage floor! My hubby did great on it. I'm so blessed to have him.

Have a wonderful day my friend,
~Melissa :)

ceekay said...

Hi Karen..thanks for stopping by...wow, you found lots of great things....Lillian was my MIL's name!

Rebecca @ Belle Blog said...

Hi Karen,
my name is rebecca. I just found your blog and love it. I wish i had a motor home. how fun!! i loved looking at the photos of all your treasures. what a nice blog you have. I will be back for more.
♥ Rebecca

~CC Catherine said...

What a cute post girl! WOW...how are you shopping like this and finding enough places to keep all this stuff from getting broken? And, where is Lillian going to sleep? lol You are too funny... AND...I would love to read that journal right along with you. Another thing we have in common. I buy vintage diaries too...from the early 1900's and find them fascinating. I have a graduation autograph book from the 30's or 40's and it's a hoot to see some of the phrases they wrote. Life was so simple then, eh? Well...it looks and sounds like you are having a blast on vacation! I just returned from my little 4 day blitz of a vacation....and it was so relaxing and fun....wish we could have stayed away for weeks. You be blessed and take care friend. ~CC Catherine

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

I hope puppy didn't get in too much trouble; the hat really looked like fun to chew! What great finds on your vacation! (I'm coming with you next year and that's final!) I'm also looking forward to your vintage book finds...you know how I love them!

Blue Creek Home said...

I think you are going to have to hook a u-haul to "coach" to get all of your incredible finds back home. I love everything!
Thanks for the visit and comment.
Rhonda

Shanda said...

Motor home is just beautiful. Looks like great fun and lots of awesome goodies. What a multitude diamond days this trip has been for U. Aren't the black hills beautiful? Travel safely and if you are in Missouri, come by and I'll cook you an old fashioned country dinner and we'll all sit by the fire and have some nice drinks outside and listen to the cattle moo and the coyotes call.
Shanda

grammy said...

Looks like you had a great trip. I love Mt. Rushmore. I just got back from my trip and I am trying to feel normal again.

AMIT said...

All items are valuable.I like it.

Make website india

disa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.