Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Very Fun Weekend Ahead


I am really getting excited about attending the "Artistic Affaire L'Automne" this weekend! Friday night is the "Market Soiree" - an evening of shopping (uh-oh - don't tell Mark) with all the FABULOUS vendors that will be there. OH MY! Anything "special" you need for crafting and scrapbooking - you'll find there! Vintage ribbons and lace, papers and wallpaper, anything unusual, and of course the handmade jewelry is to die for!!! All of that is for 3 hours Friday night and there will even be a quick "make and take" craft that we are guaranteed to love. Then Saturday is a full day of pampering and fun. We are being taught three classes. And . . . THE HECK WITH THE DIET!!!!  Because our AWESOME hostess Kim Caldwell goes above and beyond with the food and the spoiling! Oh my gosh, we are going to have so much fun. I am doing one swap - it is a masquerade mask. It is supposed to be beautiful and elegant, something  that a woman in "the day" would wear to an Autumn Masquerade Ball. NO PRESSURE THERE! Golly I hope mine is OK. I love it, but - these women really know how to go over the top, and . . . I don't know. . . this is only my second swap - so we'll see.  I'll post my special weekend next week. 


Well yesterday I ventured down to my favorite little antique mall. It was a cool day, and since the place has no a/c, I figured it to be a pretty good day to wander up and down the isles. Lots of "sales". 20%, 30%, 50%, 60% even 75% off. (Makes you wonder what the mark-up is doesn't it?) Anyhow, I'm on the very last row and see a 50% off booth. Wander in there. It's dark, it's mostly empty, and not much to look at. But I see something on the bottom shelf in the back of an old bookcase. Pull it out and it was this black "silver" tray. I mean it had been destroyed. It was so grimey and gross, yuck. But the edges were so pretty - I was thinking I could spray paint it. Looked for the price - $10 - and then 1/2 off? Whoo hoooo! I can do that. I get home and I didn't even want to bring it in the house it was so disgusting. Put everything else away and then remembered it. Decided to give it one quick shot at cleaning it up so the paint would have a slight chance of even sticking to it. Grab my favorite silver cleaner and smear it on. GASP! OH MY GOSH! The black, the grime, the food, the grease, all rubs right off!  Now I'm thinking no one is ever going to believe me, why the heck didn't I take a before picture. FIGURES! Run upstairs and grab the camera to take a picture of the back at least. 

So here is my steal of the day. It is a silverplated platter, weighs almost 2#, it's a beefy little platter. Not overly large, about 18"long. And I am GRINNING!


Here is the back before. The front was literally BLACK.
Does someone see something here that I don't, something that makes it less valuable?
I do not know much at all about silver.


But I know what I like, and what I think it pretty.


Look at the detail! I cannot tell you how proud of this piece I am!!
If only you could've seen it before. MAN!
To give this away for $5? YAY!

Another treasure I found was this cute little vintage hat. 
Don't you think it is just too cute? Miss Lillian loves it!!!

Oh my goodness, I love this hat! 

Then I found this adorable teacup and saucer. 
While I was cooking dinner last night, the weather came on and look! 
I just KNEW this fabulous weather was too good to be true!

So much for my Autumn weather.  :(  I am so over the heat!  Oh well . . .

Everyone have a wonderful day!!!

XOXOXO
[signature-1.gif]

17 comments:

common ground said...

Hi Karen, your weekend sounds wonderful! And I love your silver tray. It looks valuable to me. It cleaned up so beautifully. Love the edging. I like tarnished silver...to a point. But when it's black...I have to grab the polish!
I'm with you, I'm SO over the heat!
Have a great week!
Debra

Theresa said...

Don't you just love it when you find something sooooo good, sooooo cheap AND it turns out THAT pretty! Good for you! I knew where that hat was going as soon as I saw that picture! Love you all and enjoy your fun weekend. I know your mask will be the best one!!!

my cup of tea said...

WoW! Girl, you got a deal on that tray! I love all your bargins! You have to fill us in on your wonderful weekend to come! I wish we had something like that around here! I was thinking how fun it would be to host something like that...hmmm, something to think about. I am so sure your mask is just beautiful!
Blessing's,
Donna

Joyce said...

I love your tray! I'm thinking you're on your way to your own shop : )

And your weather...yikes! Enjoy your weekend-sounds like fun.

Connie said...

Have a great time and I know whoever gets your mask will love it!

What a great silver dish you found...it's so pretty! Just like people sometimes, we see their outside and judge them and then they are beautiful inside.

Love it! COnnie

Cathy said...

Your trip sounds wonderful...I just know you will have a great time!!!

The tray is scrumptious...love it all cleaned up and shiny!!!

Have a wonderful day!!!
XOXO
Cathy

Rettabug said...

Hi Karen,

Your tray is just BEAUTIFUL!! Please tell me what you used to get all the tarnish off? My hands are so sore from working on a recent find (you can see it on my blog) with Wright's Silver Polish. Its taking F~O~R~E~V~E~R!

Boo-Bah said...

I can just imagine your excitement to see the black vanish and the beautiful silver showing through.

It sounds like a wonderful weekend is just ahead.

Iris

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Hi Karen

Sounds like a great weekend!

Thanks for stopping by. We drove to California, on the northern rte, through CO, etc, during the early summer of 1957, with my mother's uncle; riding in his 1956 Cadillac. There was a canvas water bag on the front bumper. Have you seen those? After a couple of months of summer, we came back to Missouri, on a bus, via the southern route, which was rte 66. So I have been on Rte 66 from end to end, since I was on Michigan Ave. in Chicago, a couple of years ago. I don't think I would want to make that trip across the dessert, in the vehicles of the 50's again. Although, at that time of my life, I was quite accustomed to living without AC.:-)

Shelley said...

I love that hat too! Perfect for a tea party!! I'll be over in 5 minutes - ok? LOL!!!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Karen,
What a fabulous week-end your going to have! The pampering sounds so good! I love the silver tray, truly pretty and what a deal! The hat too, is so cute and Lillian will look fab! Cindy

Lisa said...

I'm sure your mask is beautiful and some lucky gal is going to be thrilled to get it.
What a deal on that gorgeous tray! I think you win the Thrifty Deal Award this week!
Have a wonderful time on your trip and tell Miss Lillian to stop showing off.:)

Barb~Bella Vista said...

Hi Karen, how delightful everything sounds.....ooooooo!

The silver tray is to die for. Wow, what a find!!!!!!!

Hugs, Barb :-)

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Good Morning Karen,
You always make me smile! You will be the first to know when the 4 letter S word arrives~ I hope not for awhile, boy you do have some hot weather coming up. Stay cool, enjoy your spa week-end, I wish I was there! Hugs, Cindy

A Hint of Home said...

Hi Karen,
What a great find that tray was! It is so gorgeous cleaned up. Great job!
You are so funny! I don't need another thing for any holiday-but something slips in my cart at every store outing. Yikes! If I'm not careful I will have as many tubs as you do. lol

Claire said...

I love vintage teacups & saucers, too =)

Calming Scents said...

sounds so fun! I love that tray. I'm on the lookout for one this weekend.

My son and daughterinlaw bought their first home and I'm giving them a tray full of bath products to celebrate. They have a bathroom thats everyones dream, well at least mine and I cant wait to add some of my touches.