Monday, October 26, 2009

Glamis in the Imperial Sand Dunes

Sunrise. Saturday morning. It seems the world is still asleep.
No wind. Good riding weather.

A hint of clouds make a gorgeous sunrise.



I am by myself . . . for a little while at least . . .
until the other 100,000 people wake up.

Cleaning camp. A spotless camp is a must.
The Rangers issue tickets for so much as a bottle top.
Which is fine with me.
One half of camp -
Stacie and Andy's far left, middle my BIL Doug's trailer
Kid's trailer behind that and other BIL Rob's rig on the right.

the other half. Us on the left - Duane and Sheryl on the right.

A good time. Many a campfire been built in these dunes.
While sitting around this fire, all the cousins came up with some nicknames.
You see, they call their Uncle Doug, "Unc".
Well, they call their Uncle Rob "Unc" too.
And my Mark is "Unc" also.

Now it's like this -
Doug is still "Unc"
Rob is "Runc"
Mark is "Munc"
Brandon is "Bunc"
Justin is "Junc"
Steve is "Stunc"
And now Andy will be "Dad". :)

Beautiful days! But still really too hot to be here.

We are here one week earlier than normal.
Halloween weekend is the official "season opener" so to speak.

So what's it all about? Well . . . It's a sand thing!

Thousands of acres of beautiful wind swept dunes.
Some too tall for Karen. None too tall for Mark, Brandon and Justin.
It's quiet. It's gorgeous. It's very fun.
It's everywhere.
(It's also in your ears, your nose, your eyes, your hair, your shorts!)

You ride an assortment of things . . .
some like sand cars, other like sand rails,
me? I prefer a quad

But we just bought a new toy - A Razor . . . pretty fun

My nephew Steve, yes the new bridegroom.
He prefers two wheels . . . As do Brandon and Justin
But they still love their quads too

Paddle tires get you to the top of the tallest dune with ease . . .

And it's a blue sky thing . . .

An American thing . . .

A family thing. The kids' camp . . .


Hmmmmmm . . .  (as long as we get the keys
to the bikes once this comes out.)
Beer and sand go hand in hand, and so does responsibility.

My niece Stacie. Approaching her 2nd trimester
Nope - no riding for her. With her first kids - Molly and Tucker.
Miss Molly - awwwwwwww - what a face!

Stacie and her husband Andy take the dogs to the
other side of the road to throw the ball and let them RUN!
(see the pups waaaaayyyyyyy out there?

LOOK! A bump! I'm gonna be a Dad!!!! :)

You make your own shade. It was 101 this day. UGH!

"Morning Brandon."
"Morning Mom. What's with the camera so early?"

"Come on, get your gear on - let's go riding!"

My two sons. They love it here.
They've been coming here since they were infants.
"We must have more water here somewhere. . ."
"My my! How the trash pile has grown . . ." is what Mom is thinking.

"Can we go too? huh? huh? Please?"

"They can't go if we can't go!"

We came back from our Razor ride with Duane and Sheryl to
the other four kids hangin' out in our coach
watching the Chargers game.

One of Justin's best friends since 6th grade - Brandon
and his girlfriend Brandi. (Yup - two Brandon's and a Brandi.)
Hockey memories made together. I miss those days!
And they are now all 21. (except Justin - HA!)
Seems like yesterday . . .

Justin's beautiful friend Sarah, also around since the 6th grade.
"Come on Jorja, come see me . . . "

"Of course, I'm the most handsome of all . . .
Jorja doesn't come to anyone! But I come to everyone!
That's why everyone loves me best!"

Sunday at Noon.
The wind begins. The sand blows. Time to go.
But we'll be back soon!


We've been going to Glamis, located in the Imperial Sand Dunes, at the joint corner borders of CA, AZ and Mexico since 1977. A lot has changed. But good times await and the memories will always remain.

Fun times.  Ride safe!

[signature-1.gif]

17 comments:

Theresa said...

Oh Karen, I so enjoyed my visit with you on the dunes! Looks like lot of fun for many years gone by and many years to come! Love to all and thanks for sharing you wonderful trip with your poor 'ole friends left behind:) Have a blessed day!

Joyce said...

I loved the whole thing... well, except maybe it needs to be 25 degrees cooler. This looks like lots of fun.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

What fun and such great memories to share of all these wonderful times together. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Marty

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh Girl this looks like so much Fun with a capital F...my friend...but 101 I could do without me and sun with my red hair don't get along...Beautiful Coach girl..Your Sons are indeed very handsome young men...and your going to be a Grandma how cool id that...first one or what?? My Granddaughter and her DH Branden thats how his is spelled going rock climbing all the time out in the middle of new place way too scary for this old lady...Now many moons ago I use to run Midgets race cars...And I use to test drive 1/4 midgets for a builder..WOW!! another trip down memory lane for me...Hope all is well Karen on your side of the mountain and Thanks again for what you did for Ceekay...I think she really got a kick out of it...You have a great heart my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

A Hint of Home said...

What a fun place to spend time. I know you wish the weather was a little cooler but it looks like everyone had a good time.

Blondie's Journal said...

What a fun time you all had. Didn't let the heat bother you... I would love doing this. Well, maybe not the sand in my shorts!!

xoxo
Janie

Cathy said...

How fun for all of you!!! The pics are wonderful...all of them!!!

Thanks for sharing a little bit of your trip with us!!!

Enjoy!!!
XOXO
Cathy

Your puppies are precious!!!

Jacqueline said...

Hi Karen, I'm just starting to get to know you but what a way to know you...and the whole family!
Wow...what a trip! I love seeing the whole family including the dogs and congrats on a new baby coming! I'll be back!

Ginger said...

There's nothing better than a weekend of hanging out with friends and kids. And can't forget those gorgeous dogs. The one of the two of Harley and Jorja together is adorable...and love the yellow labs. Can't resist a lab.
We had so many weekends like that, I really miss it. But don't you hate cleaning up the sand?
Love how all the kids are in the RV watching tv. lol.

Theresa said...

Hey Karen, It's me again:) My Sister, Cindylou is going to post the recipe... hopefully tomorrow! Here is her blog address. I will make sure I let you know when she posts it! Happy DAY!

http://marinemomof1.blogspot.com/

Cindy Lou said...

Hi Karen, I will be posting a blog on the red velvet cake balls on Wednesday!! I enjoyed reading your blog and all of that sounds like so much fun! I am sure my boys would love it!! Have a great day!!

Mieke said...

A whole dessert to play around with your family, this must be America is what we would say here ! So much space and such a wonderful memories to share, lovely.

Mrs. Dunbar said...

I like the "Ride safe" part. I'm sure glamis has changed so much in 32 years. Too bad it's not getting any cooler (weather-wise.)

Your a good mom to still go out with your kids. I like your new toy.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Karen,
What a neat post my friend. I felt like I was out there with you, it must be almost surreal with all that sand and nothing else for miles and miles. We leave tomorrow early and my son said to bring a jacket because it's supposed to only get up to 65 in Phoenix tomorrow. Huh? It will be 60 here in Wisconsin. Miss ya, hugs too, Cindy

Connie said...

WHat fun and still so much fun for you with your boys as grown ups now. I never liked it when it was sooo HOT though. I loved the sunrise photos...very pretty!

Have a good time in AZ...I just got back yesterday from a visit with my mom. It was great weather but looks like it's cooling off a little.

Enjoy! COnnie

Duchess of Tea said...

Darling, just stopped by to see how you are doing. Longtime no visit...I missed you. I hope life is treating you marvelously.

Love
Duchess

Rose Brier Studio said...

When my husband was in grad school at UCSD,(middle '80's) we lived in graduate student housing near a family who went camping and off-roading in Glamis. You have made it look a lot better than my friend ever spoke of it. Her husband liked the mud and no showers, she did not!