Sunday, November 15, 2009

Restlessness



OK, I'm letting you know right here, that the following are the ramblings and mutterings of a tired woman. :) You have been warned. If you want to skip to the pictures, or skip it all together - I will understand!

I came home from my trip to Michigan - tired. I had just acclimated to the East Coast time and all of a sudden I have to transition back to Pacific Time. Why is this so hard for me? Everyone else seems to do it all the time with no problem whatsoever! What's with me??? I guess when you drive it, it just kind of happens slowly, but to fly - boy that threw me for a loop. So I've been in bed by 9 the last 2 nights (LOL - Geez I feel old!) and now am waking up before 6. Hmmmmm . . . I wonder how long this will last?

I also came home to "Hi Honey - Hi Mom! Bye Honey - Bye Mom" and off they went to Glamis to get a campspot for the week of Thanksgiving.  They will go back down on Tues. before Thanksgiving and come home the following Sunday and while they are gone, I will transform our house.

It's funny, a lot of people don't understand that I don't mind being home alone on Thanksgiving Day. We have our big Thanksgiving dinner the Sunday before at my in-laws, and that's really all I need. Well, other than a week - undisturbed - and left alone so that I can truly play with my house. While I was working for the interior designer, I got burned out fast on Christmas decor. (GASP! Did she just say what I think she just said?") YUP! BURNED OUT! Meaning after decorating and being around all of it since August - the last thing I wanted to do was decorate even one more house, not even my own. But I did, not all the way mind you, but I got the majority up - but it wasn't FUN the way it is supposed to be. You know - like lighting a fire in BOTH of the downstairs fireplaces (so I can see one from whatever room I'm in) throwing some cookies in the oven just so you can smell them, and blasting Kenny Rogers and Dolly Pardon's "A Christmas to Remember" and singing at the top of my lungs. Staying up until the wee hours of the morning working on whatever I feel like working on. Because once I get through the first day - which is pretty much all "fluffing" between 3 trees and the entire stairwell of garland, I love the rest of it. I treasure each and every item as I unpack. It's like a week of Christmas mornings for an entire week as I bring out old friends. Sigh. Soon.

Anyway - I'm rambling. Gee - do you think it's cause I'm tired?

I woke up this morning with a feeling of restlessness. A need to get somewhat more organized before Christmas hits me ( and my boss - OK - best friend - full on!). And I still am not satisfied with my studio. So . . . had an idea and while my house was empty, I pulled it off. Now I still want to paint - BADLY. I am so ready for a soft creamy pink, some ivory and maybe some black. But it's the layout that I just can't seem to come up with. So once again, I changed it around. LOL.
Before








As of now - a work in progress.

The white on white is killin' me! I am not a white wall person.
And now with those white cubes in there - ugh!

Moved the tables to down the center of the room.
Kinda crowded - the jury is still out on this part.

But I do like being able to freely move about with no barriers.


LOVE having my sturdy worktable over here!
Now I can get the window opened so easily!




Course, I still need to find a place for my Printer's tray.
I just love this piece.
And the fact that it was already painted white -
AWESOME! Saved me a ton of time!
I don't know of a better way to categorize and store my "sparkleys".
Mark is going to make me a plexiglass top to keep the dust out. :)


Where did Mark's loveseat go you ask?
Here - to the guest room. It's goofy, I know.
But - I need the space!


I need to go through my ribbon. TONS of ribbon.
Three containers plus of ribbon. Sigh. I love ribbon.
Oh, and new Christmas stuff I found last year at half off . . .
Of course, not a single one of you knows what half off means . . .

And this is the Christmas wrapping paper that
doesn't fit into the box in the rafters.
I'm going to do my gift wrapping in here this year.


I think I like it - I just wish I could mount the tv on the wall somewhere. (I wonder if Mark could get that done one day this week.) I would really like to cover the walls in the closet with shelves and then close the entire space off with pretty lace curtains.  And I'd really like to get that secretary desk out of there! (kids!)
Course I still have this just DUMB little area under the window to deal with . . .


Hmmmmm . . . my brain is failing quickly. Too much to think about. Maybe more tomorrow . . . I'll warn you if I get going again . . .

Think I'll go play with my ribbon . . .

[signature-1.gif]

29 comments:

Mieke said...

This is what you do when you're tired ? I'm exhausted reading about it already... I wander what we get to see when you're having a good day ;)

Judy King said...

Love your craft room! Please tell me how you attached the black fabric to the table! I hot glued velcro and attached mine, but I need to get to things under it and after openning the velcro a few times the hot glue quit holding! The buttons you added are too cute!

Mimi said...

HI!!!
I fly to Orlando to visit our daughter at least 4 times per year and coming home to AZ time, I think mOUntain time is Brutal!!!! I always come home exhausted!!! And pretty much I just hang out at the parks with her or stay home and do cleaning or what ever she needs done!!!When I stay more then 5 days especially, in May I was gone 12 days!!!! Crazy!!! Yes, reading your blog made my head twirl!!! I really don't like Thanksgiving food except the rolls and mashed potatoes, so I could skip it too, and this year it looks as if we may be doing a it alone, just hubby, daughter, son in law and grand daughter and my son and his girlfriend, so all that bother!!! We would rather be a the dunes with your family!!!! We love Glamis and Buttercup!!!!!
Love the craft room though, I have need for that!!!!
hugs,
jamie

Cindy said...

Hi, i love your craft room, wish i had one, with still 2 grown kids at home and a 10 year old there are no spare rooms. But, i'd rather have them here with me anyday than have a craft room. We have just bought some more land, so when we build our new home, i am making sure there is a room for me and the kids. My husband is always asking where the dining table is, because thats what i use as my work table. yes you do sound tired. Try and have a relaxing week.
Cindy

Theresa said...

Honey, your room is just wonderful... before and or after:) At least you have it all right there when you need it. Sorry your body clock is all off from your travels, I have said it before, stay at home sometime. You are always on the go:) Can't wait to see your Christmas decor. Mine isn't going up until after Thanksgiving. Love you and enjoy you Monday whatever you do!

ceekay said...

Yep, you are on overdrive!
I think you are not going to be happy with any lay-out in the craft room UNTIL you get it painted. That really is what is bugging you!!
I can't wait to see your Christmas decorations....maybe I will just enjoy yours vicariously and not do mine!!! Just kidding!

Blondie's Journal said...

Karen~~

For being tired you are working like a maniac!! You get more done in one night then I get done in 3 days!!

I have been falling asleep at 9:00 too lately and this morning was up at 4:30. That is why am am blogging at 6:30!!

I love your studio, before and after. My craft room, which doubles as an office, is the size of a closet. I love your colors and all of your cabinets and table space. When there was an event called 'Where Women Work', I got so many ideas for storage. One was hanging ribbon on a big cork board on spindles. I thought it was a great idea to see it all at a glance.

Thanksgiving alone? What a bummer. But it seems you have a great attitude about it. Do all the things you wish you could do when the family is around and in your way!!

Loved this post. You didn't mutter or ramble once!

xoxo
Jane

Lisa said...

Your studio looks awesome! I love all the changes.

Jacqueline said...

I love it. A trip through your mind and your house, at the point of restlessness your ambition shines through. I'm alone on Thanksgiving too. A little piece of peaceful heaven to reflect of those early pilgrims...sounds good to me...smile!

Ginger said...

Wow you were wearing me out just reading about all that you do. I love your room, before and after.
I think it's neat that you have a week to yourself. I wish I did. It's just fun to have the house alone to play in.

Zuzu said...

Hi Karen! Glad you're back - missed you too!!!

I like all the ideas you are sharing for your craft room. Love the pink & cream & black combination - that would be gorgeous. Just keep trying out those great ideas until you find something that really makes you happy. Get in a few little naps to catch up with your rest & dream up some more inspiration - when I first go to bed or I'm just waking up is when the best ideas float into my head. LOL!

Oh - and I love playing with ribbon. Can I come over?

:)

Zuzu

Eileen@Star'sFault said...

SUCH a wonderful workspace. I envy your square footage!I made a cover for my work table also, but did a complete top with ruffled skirt out of the most lovely linen. Then to protect the linen from the craft stains and mess. I layer large squares of kraft paper on top and remove one each time I make a mess. This gives me a fresh workspace after each project.


Thanks for stopping by Star's Fault to visit. The DH did notice the lamps, and made no comment, other than to note that one of the kitties likes to chew on the tulle around the edges and did so about 2am this morning. Do you think I might be wearing him down?

Blessings ~ Eileen@Star'sFault

Rettabug said...

Hi Karen,

Your creative studio looks wonderful to me, both the before & after! I personally love the lime green walls but that's probably because my sewing studio is boring beige. LOL

I think part of your tiredness is also related to the earlier darkness setting in. Everyone I know has been feeling the same way. Of course, the mental stress that the holiday preparations bring can also sap your energy. The mind is a very powerful influence!

I also ♥ being home alone on T'day, since my DD & her DH plus kidlets will celebrate with us the Sunday prior, just like you. Being a blended family means we all make adjustments so that everyone gets a turn to see the children. They have a great-grandmother who is still alive at 86 & understandably, want to see her as much as they can.

I'll be home, decorating, too!...call me & we can talk! LOL :D

fondly,
Rett

Cathy said...

I love this room!!! I love the color...are you sure you want to change it? I totally understand how you are feeling...I think everyone hits the wall...you obviously found a way to work through it...good for you!!!

I am so sorry I missed yesterday's event.I promise to be up and running for December 15th!!!

Have a wonderful day!!!
XOXO
Cathy

Christine Edwards said...

Wow, that's a lot of work! But it seems once we get a "hair" about something, we just gotta go for it. I too get a ton down when my husband goes out of town. And he's gone for three days this week! Hoping to get a lot accomplished too.

GWENDOLYN said...

LOVE your pink and green room. Our office is a lighter shade of that green, we find it very cheerful. You are also so organized.
Blessings!
Gwen

Brenda @Cozy Little House said...

It's funny you should say that about being alone. I'm alone many holidays and I like it too. My husband is often on call. And it's just me and the pets. I can dilly dally in the house, move things about. No noise in the background coming from a tv. I'm not much of a holiday with a gathering type, I guess. Nice to know I'm not alone out here!
Brenda

A Hint of Home said...

Your room looks like such a nice place to have to yourself.
Traveling through the time zones can do you in-so to speak.
You'll feel better soon and you'll be off and running doing those Christmas decorations.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Karen,
Great post and no your not rambling. I feel that way sometimes but I think most of us like reading about other peoples lives including the trials and tribulations. I have a terrible time adjusting to time changes, in AZ I was waking up at 3:00 a.m. and not knowing what to do with myself. I think it's my hormones too, they are just whacked out. LOL. `Your craft room looks lovely with the new arrangement and most of us are just so envious of this awesome space! I am tweaking my guest room so that it will be just perfect when you come visit! Well, someday! Hugs and all, Cindy

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Love the room. I would love to have my very own room to do whatever project I wanted to do instead of the kitchen counter. It looks wonderful and I can't wait to see your Christmas decorations. Hugs, Marty

Jensmere said...

Hi Karen...I just hopped over from Bella Vista. I so enjoyed my visit! I love the beautiful doors, and enjoyed the pictures of your travels.

I so understand the restlessness that leads to rearranging furniture!!! Such a nice studio!

Bless you,
Susan

www.count-it-all-joy.com

Nina Diane said...

craft room is looking great. Maybe it will motivate me to get mine cleaned up! I'm acutally going to switch rooms. The guest room is bigger and I have the smallest bedroom as my craft room. That makes no sense....I don't have guest very often AND if I do, they only sleep in that room! But that will be a project for next year. I hope you enjoy Sunday with your family. Our Thanksgiving is this Saturday with my family :)

Shelia said...

Hi Karen! I know how it is when you travel and get so tired. I'm that way now! I've had an ailment that has knocked me off my feet. I just can't seem to get my strength back.
Now I love how your craft room looks! You have so much to look at!
Hope you're getting rested up.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

diana said...

i just read your first comment (from mieke) and laughed out loud. i was thinking the same thing. when i'm tired, i take lots of naps, read, or just veg out in front of the tv. never would i take on re-decorating. just goes to show that you are a woman always in motion - always thinking, always doing. good for you. the older i get, the less i am in motion.

Manuela@Pleasures of Homemaking said...

I hope you're feeling more energized! Although, this time of year I slow down - just the change in seasons I guess. Love your creative space! You have so much room!

Manuela

Karen said...

Love the craft room! Actually I love the bright green walls.........very cheerful, and great color to inspire someone to be creative.

Karen said...

Hi Karen,
You asked on my blog, where do I find the time? My shifts rotate, so I have plenty of free time. And will have even more time come mid December, as I will be retiring!! So excited!!
later...Karen

Its So Very Cheri said...

Karen
This is my first visit to your blog and I have had fun looking around. I clicked to follow and hope you will come for a visit, look around and follow me as well.

Cheri

Karen Valentine said...

Hi Karen! I totally understand how you feel about Christmas decor right now. Before I managed my dog grooming shop I worked for an interior designer/Shop owner. We started pricing all the Christmas stuff in June and Oct 1 started decorating the store. Plus we went out to people's homes and did there trees too. I was so sick of Christmas stuff by the time December rolled around too!!! Thankfully I don't work for him any more and I am able to go all out at my house with great pleasure. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Karen
My Desert Cottage