Sunday, December 27, 2009

My Gift - The Fishing Cabin

Merry two days after Christmas. I guess we need to start proclaiming - Happy New Year!

A few days before Christmas I posted about a gift I was giving my friend Jeanne and her husband Mike. It is a scrapbook that I made of one of their favorite places on earth. Their new cabin. I thought I'd share a few of the pages with you. What you need to understand as you look at them is - they are not "FooFoo" people. Clean and classic - less is more - masculine (it's Mike's fishing cabin) so the book really needed to not be country or papery or frilly. Some of you might not like how "simple" it is. Also, the pictures were taken with Mike and Jeanne in mind - to remind them what is waiting for them up in Montana. Some of the shots won't mean anything to anyone other than them. There is pretty much a story behind every photo. This cabin is Mike's dream. They just happened upon the land with the pond on it, amazingly right next door to the house they already owner. It fast became another part of their ranch.

So enjoy! Let me know what you think!

Title Page


Page 1 If you enlarge - you'll see the fishing rod resting on the fence


They built this cabin with every detail in mind.
It is a tiny little one-bedroom.
They won't usually stay here, but they can when they want.


With a killer view from their bedroom window.


The little details . . .


See the Eagle charm on the photo below?
With all of the construction for nearly a year,
they needed to restock the pond with fish.
Do you know how expensive fish are? Well, the story is
the stocking had no more taken place - and Mike
was standing on the porch when a huge Golden Eagle
flew over and divebombed the pond and flew away
with one of the BIG fish. Mike yelled at him
"Hey! Do you know how much that fish cost?" :)
Thus, the eagle charm


The story here is the apple orchard out back. Their land backs up to
National Forest. Lots of wildlife.
When they were landscaping and trying to bring
the land back to all of it's natural plants and grasses, they asked how they
could provide an extra food source for the animals.
The expert suggested apple trees.
"Will we get bears?" Mike asked eagerly. "Yup!"
So they planted an apple orchard.
And just when they were ready to pick the apples and enjoy
the "fruits of their labor" a bear came down before hibernating last fall
and promptly ate every apple off each tiny tree.
He just sat there - grabbed the tree, brought it down to
his level and had a feast. Well! They wanted bears! They got them!
That's what the "bribes" journaling is about. :)


This is my favorite shot. I was down on the dock looking back up.
It is a spectacular cabin. Just perfect for Mr. Mike.


And that is just a few pages of my gift to them for Christmas. And they loved it. YAY!

Well, back to putting the Christmas decorations away. . .

[signature-1.gif]

19 comments:

ceekay said...

The book is great Karen. I like the way you labeled the pages.
Are you taking Christmas down already? I always wait till after New Years. But then....it is gone!

Lisa said...

What a beautiful gift! I know your friends were thrilled! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. :)

Theresa said...

Great job dear Karen! A gift is so special when it has so much time put in it. I love the cabin, it's rustic look and decor. So they live on the adjoining land? I think Montana is one of those heavenly places. While I have only traveled thru there... it was like going back in time. Love your sweet gift and I am sure they did too! Happy New Year!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What a wonderful book -- I'll bet it will be their favorite coffee table book! So thoughtful.

Blondie's Journal said...

You did a fabulous job on the book, Karen. The pages are great. I don't do scrapbooking but I make cards so I have a good idea how much time you put in to this. I have gone on many a fishing trip and the cabin is not shabby!! I love your pics! The stories are hystrical! Mike sounds like a very funny guy!

Thanks for sharing this with us!

xoxo
Janie

Nina Diane said...

great job Karen! That is such a special gift....they will love it. I am so far behind in my scrapbooking. I'm hoping once I clean up from the holidays, I'll have some more time.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hey Karen,
Great job my friend!!! I mean, you are good! What a gorgeous cabin, and the views, OMG, they are fantastic! I really loved the pics, I made them all big, and that cozy bedroom, is just so heavenly! Thanks for sharing your talents my dear, this post is awesome! Your way ahead of me, I wait until New Years Day to start taking down. Hope your Christmas was a good one too!
Oh, I just got done watching 60 minutes with Gov,Arnold talking about the water shortage in CAlif. pretty intense stuff!
Hugs, Cindy

Jodie LeJeune said...

Oh geez Karen...
Your photos are gorgeous...it's like I was standing on the dock with you!!!! And those closeups of the hardware and fabrics and textiles...to die for!!!!! If I went there, I know I'd never want to leave. That is so cool of you to capture it the way you did. I know I'd be happy knowing all of the work you put in it. It's gorgeous!!!! Love the eagle story! I'm sure Mike laughed when he saw the eagle charm over the lake...too funny!!!!
He really wanted bears there? I'd be scared to death!
Hope you are on your second or third glass of wine by now :)
everything vintage

Connie said...

WHat a beautiful present. The pages are beautiful and the photos are well...I'm speechless. They take my breath away...the landscape is so pretty. I bet you feel so close to God there...amazing.

Happy New Year!! Dallas and Selena will be here with the kids and are having their friends over...should be interesting!!!

Connie

Mieke said...

Sigh...this is a real dreamland and dreamcabin. Only someone who loves and knows about this land and these people could make such a nice scrapbook, you did a great job! It feels good to know these kind of places and people still exist, thank you for sharing your wonderful gift.

Libbie said...

Wow I can't imagine the time & love that went into making such a special gift! Lucky friends! It is just beautiful! And itis a gift that will last forever!

Boo-Bah said...

What a wonderful gift. I am sure they loved it. I think handmade gifts mean so much more because of all the love and time that was spent making it.
I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

I am glad that my little zoo gives you smiles and laughs. Thank you for visiting us. Come again anytime.

Iris

Ginger said...

I love the scrapbook you put together for them, you did a great job. I think their cabin and property are so neat.
Our kids left today. We had a redneck Christmas, lol. I'll have to tell you about it sometime.

diana said...

the book is absolutely gorgeous. i like simple and clean lines, too. too bad we don't live closer. i would love to scrapbook with you. you're so creative.

Allidink said...

Oh neat! Scrapbooking is so nice!

All the best,
Allison

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Good Morning Karen,
Have fun on your trip, can't wait to see the pics! Happy New Year to a wonderful, amazing gal who I am so lucky to have met!
Hugs, Cindy

Karen said...

Absolutely fabulous book, Karen. What a wonderful gift to give, and so personal, am sure they loved it! I love it, and there is no meaning to the pictures to me, very, very, very nice. Happy New Year!
Karen

Sarah said...

Karen, the scrapbook is such a wonderful gift for your friends. I know how much time and effort and love went into making this gift, but then those are the best kinds of gifts one can give to a friend. I've done many a scrapbook for family members and friends. It gives me lots of pleasure, and I always know that it is an appreciated gift. I hope to get myself doing some more scrapbooks this year. I'm behind!
Thank you for sharing this lovely treasure! ~ Sarah

Sandy said...

Hi Karen,
I saw you had stopped by my blog and thought I would come see yours! What a wonderful job you did with this scrapbook! GREAT pages! Your blog is really fun to read! Thanks for stopping by and hope to see you again soon!