Wednesday, December 16, 2009

What a mess!

Good morning. Whew! Doors is done! But I will leave the link list up for a few more days to be sure everyone has a chance to view them all. Wasn't it a fun time?

Well, I have had to really kick it into high gear. I still haven't done my Christmas cards! But there are just so many things to get done and . . . I of course put one of the most important things on the back burner for so long that now I am frantic. But I am just having the best time! I have once again reassured myself that I love working with paper - scrapbooking etc. I love trying to think of new and original ideas. I love pouring over magazines, finding something interesting and trying out a new technique or two.

BUT! I have an entire room - an ENTIRE ROOM! to work in. So why do I confine myself to a small 12" x 24" space to actually work in? Why do I have to have everything I think I might use out in front of me? There is literally not one square inch of countertop left in here.

Check it out.



A little piece of sanity over here where the finished pages are kept.
Course, nothing is finished until the bow is tied on the package.
I seem to always think of "just one more thing" to add to it.


I couldn't sit if I wanted to. I must stand when I work. I'm all over the place!










This is it. This is the only spot I have to "spread out"
what I am working on. I think this was my favorite page so far.
And I really cranked them out over the past two days!


And believe or not - I know EXACTLY where everything is. LOL! I know - so many of you out there are the exact same way. You just get in a mode and forget about everything else. Yesterday - I missed my hair appt! I felt so bad. I was sooooo wrapped up in what I was doing.

Sigh. I am just having the best time. I love "creating" mode.

I love making my best friend something so special, there is no one other than me that can put my pictures on a piece of paper and make it special to them and only them. I did it last year, and I knew I had to do it again this year. And if we get to go to Montana again in 2010, I'll probably do it again next year. Because what do you buy the people that have everything? You can't! It's impossible.

What's tricky with these books is, I can't make them "crafty".  No lace, ribbons, bows or buttons. They need kind of a timeless quality to them. Nothing vintage (ARRGGGHHHH! that's killin' me!) Nothing feminine. I want the pages to be about the pictures, not about the pages. The pages just enhance the photos. I guess classic would describe them. (Although - it is Montana, I did use some burlap and just 6 buttons on one layout.)

I am just having the best time! :) LOL.

BTW - no worries - she doesn't do the "blog" thing. She might - if I tell her to check something out - but not to just sit down and read my blog - NOT!   :)

Did I mention we are taking a digital photography class together starting in January? I am so excited! I love taking photos, but really need someone to teach me the whole camera thing and photoshop too. I love my iMac, but I know there is a lot more available than just iPhoto.

Anyway - my craftroom is decorated for Christmas too! That makes me even more happy while I'm in here.

My little snowman from Cindy :)


A cute vintage-like Christmas card I found at an antique store in Colorado.


My cute little Christmas Tree and cards from Theresa.


My Advent calendar. I LOVE Advent calendars.


And four shiny new HUGE pink mercury glass ornaments I hung.




Well, that's my mess. And my happiness. Thanks for letting me share! I hope all of you are having as wonderful a day as I will be - hopefully creating some wonderful pages for my friends!

By the way - TELL people "Merry Christmas". Everyone who waits on you, or holds the door open for you! Spread the good cheer! It's such a happy time of year!

ENJOY! and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

[signature-1.gif]

24 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Karen~~

Your crafting sounds like SO much fun and I love your studio. I think you like having everything in front of you because it gives you inspiration. And that is exactly what I need to get moving on my decorating! lol!

Happy holiday! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Mieke said...

I love these pictures. It must be fun to have all your crafting material in one room. My fingers start itching to make something when I see all those wonderful toys you have :)

Mrs. Bee said...

We dont sit down when we create because if we did our body would realise how nice that was and not let us back up!!
I am experiencing that now :)
And you have made me want to have my create room back.....oooo that sounds like more fun then scrubbing the carpets......!!
Can we have a few more days till Christmas Lord...please??

Heidi said...

HI Karen,
Your studio looks just like mine, well, you have much nicer cabinets and all - but we both have the same size mess!! Guess we "creative types" need to have all our stuff around. I do go and straighten it all up when I'm done with a project, though! Gives me time to clear my head, and think about the next thing I want to work on!
I like the way you describe your scrapbook pages. I always thought the pictures should be the most important part of the page, but most scrappers put too much stuff on their pages...just my opinion..
anyway,
your home looks lovely all decked out for the holidays, sure glad you came by for a visit.
Merry Christmas!
XO
Heidi - Heart and Home

Theresa said...

I love your room, and I want it:) If you hear somebody in there one day working.... that would be me. It is so hard to scrapbook and you are lucky to have an area to spread out in. I have made scrapbooks as gifts and it is one of the best gifts ever, like you said especially for someone who has everything!!!!

Love all the decorations. Sweet of you to display my little cards.

Doors of welcome wore me out. I try hard to visit EVERY blog who participated... whether they visit me or not. I start at the top or sometimes the bottom and click and comment until all done. What I do have a problem with is if someone is on the list and didn't have their door up... I try to remember to go back and check to see if they added their door. Oh well, I never said I was perfect... but I do try:)

Get busy, Karen:) I know I am. I just stood in line twice to mail my Nephew his first of many packages overseas. Love to all out there and have a blessed day! Smiles and hugs, Theresa

Sandra Evertson said...

Fabulous studio!
Happy Holidays!
Sandra Evertson

Debra @ Common Ground said...

WOW, what a wonderful workspace you have. I LOVE, love, love that green! Thanks, after seeing your studio, I feel ok about mine. shew.
hugs,
Debra

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

OH Karen,
I am so envious of your craft room girl, it's super, duper, fabulous!!
The little snowman is looking so cute sitting there and....I can't wait to see what your crafting! Please share with us soon! I am supposed to be staying off my computer today to get a whole lot of things done, but here I am checking in of course! Well, at least I get inspired by all my wonderful friends, like you~ Hugs girl, Cindy

ceekay said...

Whew...you wore me out...I can hear your excitement! Glad you are getting things done. I got your card today....you are ahead of me. Mine are ready, just waiting for stamps....
Have a good weekend!

Kendall at Finesse Your Nest said...

Oh to have a dedicated crafting space. My grandmother was a working artist all her life and her studio was a HOT MESS. But, she always knew where everything was and I just LOVED sitting in that room with her surrounded by beautiful things and the smell of paint and turpentine. I hope to have a wonderful space like yours someday (*she says wistfully*)

debi said...

LOVE your studio! It's beautiful and you have so much space! I work the same way, drag out everything, gather it around me, then work in a little, tiny spot. LOL Why do we do that?
Anyway, thanks for Doors of Welcome. It's been fun. I still need to get around and visit everyone. If anyone is looking for a gift for me...I would love more TIME!
Have a Merry Christmas!
Hugs, Debi

Ldy ~~ Dy said...

Karen...I looooovvvve your craft room! Mess and all. Actually I think it looks quite beautiful...all your creativity spilling out everywhere!! Hugs!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Karen, your craft room is to die for. I would love a room like that, but then I would never come out. I love all of your pages and your books. Sounds like you are having a fun Christmas. Hugs, Marty

Jacqueline said...

Amen to Merry Christmas and spreading the love around. What a fun place to work and create. I have a smaller room like that and I simply shut the door. I would leave it open but three little dogs like to play in there too. Shoot, the hair can wait as the merryment goes on and on and on...Happy Christmas to you from Jacqueline and gnomes!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

What a fabulous workspace! I would love to see more of your pages....! I am so happy to hear how much fun you are having making your gifts. I know they will be treasured...

MERRY CHRISTMAS...YES TO EVERYONE!

Stay Cozy & Don't be frantic! They are only cards!

Carrie

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

What a wonderful space for all your projects. Your excitement comes right through the computer screen. How fun...and hectic!

Sue

Connie said...

I love that you have found another way to show your creativity. What a gift you have! AND I know your best friend will love the photo album.

Where are you taking the class? Is there still room? I want to take one too.

Love ya, Connie

Jodie LeJeune said...

What?

What the heck is all this MESS?

I cannot believe you keep your room like this Karen!

How can you find anything?

There's even food (cupcakes) in there...GROSS!

MY room would NEVER look like that!

JUST KIDDING
JUST KIDDING
JUST KIDDING
JUST KIDDING
hahahahahahhaha

I LOVE YOUR ROOM!!!! How fun is this to have a WORKING playroom...with fluff and froo froo? I love to see a room full of ART and creations...full of personality instead of a room all neat and not played in that looks like a museum. I'd be scared to touch anything.

But your room? Well! I could go and have LOTS of fun playing in there....you have sooooo many goodies and I don't even have to worry about making a mess! :) (a good mess of course!)

This is the perfect place to play. I'm coming over.

Save me a cupcake...
everything vintage

my cup of tea said...

A beautiful mess it is! You have a wonderful space to work in! My space is a mess too!
~Blessings~
Donna

Zuzu said...

Hi Karen,
I think when we get in "the zone", the last thing we think about is keeping things neat! :) Your studio looks like a ton of fun.

Sandra Evertson (Senior editor of Where Women Create mag) left a comment @ my blog yesterday too. I wonder if she left one at everyones' blog? That's a lot of blogs!!!

Have a great day,
Zuzu

Brenda @Cozy Little House said...

You're having yourself a grand old time in "creative mode." Sometimes it takes me forever to get in it, but once I'm there, you couldn't get me out with a forklift.
Brenda

diana said...

i love looking at your work room. it gives me so much inspiration. i am going to work to make my extra room my own personal work room (mostly for scrapbooking) after the holidays. i can't wait.

oh, and merry Christmas! =)

icandy... said...

Oh, I just love your mess, Karen!
I could get lost for hours in there... just looking!! That's what creativity should look like... trust me, in my space... it's much worse! **haha** Yours is beautiful!
Merry Christmas to you!
ox
Christina

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hey Karen,
Thank-you for the beautiful Christmas card! So cute, I loved the envelope! I am still working on mine and hope to get them in the mail before Christmas! I hope to get back to AZ this winter and maybe we could get together! What a friend you are!!! Hugs from your Snow Elf, Cindy