Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Awaiting the storms . . .

Thought I'd post just a few pictures of our storms . . . 


This was Monday afternoon. Pouring buckets.
The water comes up the drive and across the sidewalk 
and extends out to the middle of the street. We are at the
end of the street and the water flows our way.
There is storm drain at the very end.



And of course it was trash day . . . but I know how
swift the water starts running - been there - done that - 
so brought my cans in as soon as they were emptied 
in the morning.
My neighbors? Not so smart . . . 



Here they come! There were 13 in all by the end of this downpour.



So then it started to get a little bit hairy . . . 
this is outside our living room window where one of
the backyard drains is. It just couldn't keep up . . . 
let alone drain out of the curb and into the street.



Out the french door from our dining room . . . 



This part was kinda scary too!

That waterfall was coming straight off the roof.
The gutters just couldn't keep up with the load.
It got bigger and bigger and that's when I called Mark!
But there was nothing he could from 20 miles away . . .


And I survived. And the water drained. And all is well.


Then yesterday - I went in to work, and then Jeanne and I went down to the photo lab to print our one picture we had to print for homework this week. While we were there - (no windows, it seems like the middle of the night and it was only 1 in the afternoon), apparently all hell broke lose! And we were oblivious! Water spouts, a tornado (YES! a tornado - we really do get them here, even if they are only small ones, it's still an F1 tornado!) wild winds, hail and crazy rain. For the exact 2 hours that we were submersed in the photo lab.
On my drive home, I passed several construction crews dragging downed trees out of the streets. "hmmmmm?" I thought to myself. Blue sky overhead, no rain it was GORGEOUS out! "Wonder what that was all about?"


In fact it was so pretty - I was celebrating that I had my camera in the trunk of my car because I came across this beautiful, end to end, full rainbow. And one of the ends was settled down nicely in my little community. I had to stop and take a picture. As did the lady behind me who pulled over in front of me. It was just too pretty to pass up . . . 








And when I got to my house . . . I started dinner and then noticed out front . . . 


The clouds were just flying across the sky.





Then I looked up and noticed the moon . . . 



And took just one more shot for the day.



And that has been our last two days. 4" of rain on Mon. 2" of rain yesterday - in TWO HOURS! Now we'll see what today brings - this one is supposed to be the very worst. I'll keep you posted!


By the way - two days left to enter my giveaway! Two posts down . . . 



[signature-1.gif]

23 comments:

Mieke said...

You know what they say 'be careful what you wish for', well girl, you certainly got what you wanted ;) But I know how scary rain can be, we had several floods in the house were I was raised (remember the mill and the river), the water coming over our knees inside... I hope you keep your feet dry and your camera ready, storms make beautiful pictures!

Marsha said...

and here I thought "it never rains in southern California"! Good luck to you on braving this week's storms. The rainbow shot is gorgeous - which photo did you choose to print for your class this week?

Theresa said...

Hey Friend! I have been watching the weather out there! I was thinking about you and your neighbors! Great pictures of the storm, the rainbow and the gorgeous sunset. Stay safe, get you some rubber boots and hopefully the rain will not cause too much or any damage! Hugs!

Joyce said...

Wow...hoping they are wrong about the forecast today. Stay safe!

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

Your pictures are great...we get those rains, and lots of tornados in the spring. What we don't get is the mudslides, which just look terrifying. I do love a rainbow, no matter how many I see...I'm always in awe.

Giveaway on my blog today!

Shabby Kim said...

Oh my goodness. That is definately some kind of rain storm. Talk about a soggy mess!!. Sure hope things will dry up for you soon. Great pictures by the way.

Blondie's Journal said...

Wow! You have a lot going on, Karen. We have been watching the news but I am never sure where all of you California bloggers are at. Hope you stay safe. Your rainbow shot is gorgeous!! :-)

xoxo
Jane

ceekay said...

We really got it out in Buckeye too...street was flooded and it poured off our roof...but no problems except they can't seem to keep our cable tV on. We have called 3 times. What a pain...still waiting for those Valentine decoration pictures....

stefanie said...

looks the same here, we just got weather warnings for high winds with rain...one tree yesterday just broke at the base.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

OMG KAREN,
Mark may really have to build you that ark! I have been listening to the forecast regarding your storms, mudslides and all. You got a fabulous pic of that rainbow, you must be doing really well in your class! YAH! Hugs, Cindy

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Karen, the tornado sounds so scary. We got the rains here right after you, but nearly as much. We got about l l/1 inches and that's a lot for us. The one hitting tonight is suppossed to be the worst. Stay safe and dry. Hugs, Marty

Connie said...

Nice water photos...I've been doing the same thing. We must have been at the photo lab at the same time and in different rooms. I braved the rain with Dwight and got there about 2:30pm and left at 4pm. Yep...we took photos of the same rainbow...it was gorgeous and to see it end to end is amazing. I had to take a photo too!

See you tomorrow! Rain or shine!!
COnnie

Manuela@TPOH said...

We were watching the news today with all the mudslides happening. I didn't know you had tornados! They're so common here in Georgia but so scary! You got some great shots! Hope it's over for you.

Manuela

A Hint of Home said...

Those storms can be so scary! I'm glad you are ok. Our children out there talk to us everyday and they have seen those downpours, as well.
Keep safe!

Sarah said...

We know all too well about heavy rain and flash floods here in TX. Hope you can stay high and dry. ~ Sarah

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Karen did you find the pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow...girl lets go shaopping ha ha!! I have been dumped with snow today on my mountain top...good grief we got 6 inches in an hour...and of course I think right away their goes my power any minute...so far only lost it 2 times today...Hey at least we would be in a drought this year ha ha!! Stay in and keep warm...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Mimi said...

HI!!!
Hey I'm with you on all that rain, you should see my pics of rain in the yard!!! )Only we got the worse of it at night!!!!
At least everyone was home safe and sound!!!Calif really getting it!!!!
I hear the next one is the BIG ONe!!! It's suppose to hit on my Birthday!!! There's goes cute hair for my birthday luncheon with friends!!! I have terrible rain hair!!!!
Be careful!!!!
Hugs,
jamie

debi said...

Well, you said you needed rain didn't you? lol
I love it when it rains and pours hard. When I'm home, of course!

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

Rainbows remind me of God's promise. In the end everything turned out OK. It was comical to see all the trash cans floating to one point in the street.

Zuzu said...

I remember these storms. They can be frightening. My youngest was 3 when we lived in Hollister, and I was buttoning up her coat to take her to a Dr. appointment during one of these storms, and she said

"We better bungle up. There's a tormato out there and it's a bad shituation." :)

Take care!
Zuzu

Jodie LeJeune said...

Glad you survived girl...I hope you have your floaties on for today!!!! ;)
I could just see you calling Mark...poor thing being 20 miles away and hearing you describe what you were seeing and he couldn't do anything about it. And you running around with your camera...in front of the windows no less!!!!!!!!
CNN showed mudslides in SoCal this morning...I hope they are not in your area.
Hope it dries up soon for you~
everything vintage

Dawn said...

I can't believe you missed all that action! We had terrible winds here, snapping power poles left and right. It's calm here now but I hear it's all heading your way for today. What a week it's been!

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Such heavy storms are no fun! Good thing it didn't last too long. Rainbows are always such an amazing pretty incident. What a lucky accident that you had your camera with you. The moon picture is very pretty too!

Hugs and love,
Julia