Thursday, January 7, 2010

Camera 101

OK, so you are all going to say "What did you learn in your new class today Karen?"

Well, I learned how embarrassing it is when you are only 1 of 3 that didn't know what model camera I have.
I learned what SLR stands for. Single lense reflex. Just don't ask me what it means.
I learned there is a huge on-going battle between Nikon owners and Canon owners. HA!
I learned how to buy a camera on-line. (hello?)
I learned I won't begin learning how to use my camera for 3 weeks. :(
I learned we should all be making 3 copies of our photos, storing separately and one of those should be off-site. And storing on CD's is not one of them because CD's probably won't work in 15 years and then you will be SOL!

Here is the reason I signed up for the course.

"Photo 70 - Digital made easy. The perfect course for the beginning photographer who knows little about photography and less about digital. Starting with how to use your digital camera . . . "

I kid you not - there were literally PHOTOGRAPHERS taking this course. ??? Did I miss something? If you've been taking aerial photographs for the past 20 years - why are you here? If you have submitted pictures to the LA Times for print - why are you here? At the end of the day I looked at her and said "Just want to make sure I am in the right place. We are going to learn how to use our camera - right?" She laughed and said yes.  Okey dokey - I'm holding her to it!

So much of today was so over my head. I had to raise my hand and ask what SLR was. It sounds like a car!! My friend Jeanne is worse than me though. So that made me feel a  little better.

So that was my 3 hour morning. But Shelley - nobody wore pajamas!!! I was thinking about you!!!

The saga continues . . .
[signature-1.gif]

16 comments:

Connie said...

Hi, sugar. I was just over on everything*vintage and saw your question about watermarks. Okay, let's get this straight right off: I'm LUSTING after that camera of yours! Squeeeeeeeal.... Anyway, if you haven't found an answer to watermarks I might be able to help you, chickee.....Just give me a holler.
xoxo,
Connie

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hey Karen,
That's too funny! I am totally clueless about camera lingo but now your going to teach me! We got 5 more inches of snow today and I got my car stuck in the driveway! ARRRR! My 19 year old know it all daughter thinks it's because I don't know how to drive in snow! GEEEZ, I don't even argue with her! Hugs, Cindy

Theresa said...

Oh dang... I'm with you:) I point, shoot and when the pitures start looking weird... I buy a new camera! It has to be the camera, right? The classes have lots of fluff so it appears that they earn their money! I hope in the end you get what you wanted:) Hugs!

Joyce said...

I'm sure it will get better : ) If it makes you feel better I didn't know what SLR was either. And you've made me nervous about the storage issue. Its something we need to deal with this year but its something I put off. Cuz I don't know anything about cameras and photography. Except that I like pretty pictures : )

julie said...

Hi Karen, Your posts about your camera made me laugh. :) I got a Canon Rebel XTI and macro lens one year ago too. My husband bought me a DVD to learn how to use the camera (knowing I would get nothing out of the manual and probably wouldn't read it anyway.) I couldn't follow the DVD - it went way too fast and I got tired of having to back it up. But, one day I did buy one of those "Learn how to use your Canon Rebel XTi for Dummies" books and it was a lifesaver! It was easy to follow and I was doing all kinds of things with the camera. Easy to follow and full of exactly the information I needed. I still would like to take a class, like you, one day but I just love the book! Have a great weekend. - Julie

Marsha said...

Karen, I just love that you are taking this class and sharing it here - it looks like we'll all learn something :)

Good luck to you!

~CC Catherine said...

Hey Sweet Friend! I've MISSED your cheery notes and smile! Everytime I read your notes they make me perk right up! :) Oh how I wish I were with you in your camera class. My camera is a Nikon D40 and I know what you mean about the Nikon lovers versus the Canon lovers. I've been told by a professional photographer that sold me my camera that the lense is much more important on one's camera. He used to photograph the Washington Redskins many moons ago. He's a fascinating man in his early 70's. I'd LOVE for him to teach me. You'll have to teach us all you learn! :) I've found some tremendous buys recently at some local antique shops. I'll have to share them soon. Hugs! ~CC Catherine

Jodie LeJeune said...

It's me again Karen...still huffing that you have a Canon ;)
(jealous more than anything!)
You will just have to teach me about my camera too. I'll pay your tuition if you go and come back and teach us what you learned!!! ;)
I'm so happy for you, you are going to love your camera more and more.
Yep...Connie is right. She has a Mac and she can teach you exactly how to put a watermark on your photos. She's Miss Mac...trust me, she's awesome!!!!
everything vintage

Blondie's Journal said...

Oh wow...SLR. A car or a test. Your finals.

xoxo
Jane

Kitt said...

I am too jealous. You are going to be so happy you did this.

Sandra said...

Hey Karen. I bet you're gonna be professional once this class is all over with. I can't wait to read more about your classes.
Have a good evening.
Sandra

Laura said...

Hi Karen-

I am so glad I found your blog for this post.

Yikes! My digital photos are on my hard drive and an external hard drive- but I haven't printed them.

Is that bad?

help!

Enjoyed visiting,

Laura

Mieke said...

Hi Karen, I love to hear you talk about this class, I hope I can learn something from you because I'm saving for a Canon EOS 500D and hope to buy it this summer... I know there are lots of thick books about how to use this kind of camera so I guess that means it's not easy ;)

Nina Diane said...

SLR means you can change your lens. Stick with it Karen..it may feel like it's over your head right now but it will all click. I learned so much in the class i took. And yes..I learned the hard way on storing photos. I lost the entire 1st year I had a digital camera when my computer crashed. I now store on my computer hard drive, an external hard drive and flash drives....3 places. They told me when I started photo class that when we finished, I would never use "auto" or a flash again...and i thought they were nuts. But guess what....I never use auto or a flash! good luck

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I would love to take a photography class. I am not talented at all so I can't even believe I made my header. It is from the collage section of Picasa a free site. Try it.

Patriotic Mom said...

Karen I got the Csnon Rebel XSi for Christmas. I am like you when it comes to cameras. I look forward to your posts. Thanks! Joan