Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Lookin' Forward

A new year. New dreams to come true. Here is one of mine!

See this?




And this big thing next to it?


We've had this camera for one year now. And I still have no clue how to work 90% of it. I can change it from auto focus to manual. I can change from landscape to portrait to sports. I CANNOT view the shots I've taken (duh!) unless I view them within the split second after I take it.

Well all that is about to change! I'm going back to school. And apparently to the most top notch photography school in the USA! Who knew? A California State school! (Miracle of miracles if you knew what lousy condition this state is in!) I start tomorrow morning and I cannot tell you how excited I am!!! I am going with my two friends, Jeanne, and Connie from Connie turned 50  (hmmmmmmm I think she's due for another name change! :) )

So hopefully in the very near future I will be presenting you with pictures taken with the correct light and lens and all that stuff. YAY!

I also excited to tell you that I have been invited to join in with a "Vintage Valentine Fat Book Swap". How stinkin' fun do you think this is going to be? I am so excited, nervous but excited. It is a swap hosted by Sarah at Gypsy Mermaid Life . A "fat book" is a book made of fabric - thus the pages are much "fatter" than ones made of paper. We each create our own page, 9 of them exactly alike, send them to her, she sews them all together and puts a cover on them and then mails them back to the 9 participants.  We have to mail our pages to her by Jan 20th, so I have been busy sewing away (Yes, you heard correctly - sewing!) And we will each have a very special book made with love from all 9 participants. If you visit Jodie at Everything Vintage and go to her early December Silver Bella post, she has an example. OMG! Too fun!

I'm also going to participate in another Valentine Swap hosted by Dolly at From My Cherry Heart. Sign-ups are until January 8th, so you still have time to read all about it and join in on the fun! YAY!

I'll let you know how my first photography class goes! I am so excited!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

XOXOXO 
[signature-1.gif]

20 comments:

Theresa said...

Girl, you are gonna be soooo dang smart, you can teach us:) Can't wait to hear all about and see some of those professional photos! Enjoy spending time with your friends~Have a blessed day!

Blondie's Journal said...

Good for you for signing up for the clas, Karen!. I can't even discipline myself to read my manual. Now that I am somewhat in to taking more pictures, a camera like yours scares the heck out of me!! You are going to be taking some great pictures though! Good luck!

xoxo
Jane

Joyce said...

That's fantastic Karen...have fun! I'm sure you'll be a pro in no time...you got the creative gene : )

Love the Decor! said...

What a fun new "toy" It looks scary to me. I can barely figure out a point and click camera! Looking forward to your great new photos!!
Have a great day!!

Sandra said...

Hi Karen. I believe I have the same camera too! I don't know how to use all the bells & whistles it has. Way to go on joining on a photography class. I need to take a class like that too. Have a great day.
Sandra

Kendall at Finesse Your Nest said...

I have a Canon and I still don't know what half the buttons do either! Can I come go to school with you? (:

debi said...

Good for you! I still don't know how to use my camera either. Maybe you can give me some tips when you become a photography Pro!
Have fun with the book swap. Aren't they just so fun? I've become a total swap junkie!
Good luck in class!
Hugs, Debi

Brenda @Cozy Little House said...

You're gonna be one busy girl! I can't do diddly on the camera. I had a fancy one like that two cameras before this one. (Obviously I'm rather hard on cameras.) Never could work all the gadgets. I just know point and shoot.
Brenda

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hey Karen, Oh, I wish I could go, how fun that will be! Your camera looks great and you should be taking some awesome pics in no time! I like the fabric book idea and the Valentine Swap, will check that out! I am having the after Christmas blues, of course it doesn't help that I am currently living in Siberia! hehe. Alaska is probably warmer right now! Have a great week my dear, Cindy

stefanie said...

How fun...you made me laugh, I have a camera, not as nice, but have no clue how to use all of it...I just really don't want to read the instructions, I would rather like you go have someone teach me....you are going to have soooooo much fun!

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

You will have a blast. I took a travel writing class last summer and loved it. It is always fun to learn more about something that interests you!

Sue

June said...

Maybe you can then teach all of us what our cameras can do. My camera does a lot more than I can do.lol
The swap sounds so fun and I did see Jodie's little peek. They will be gorgeous when you girls get through.
hugs

Dolly said...

Karen, Take notes girlfriend! We can all use that class! I am sure 90% of us have no idea how to use all the options on our cameras!
I love photography and would love a camera like yours but would need classes too! :-)

Have fun with the girls!
Hugz, Dolly

Connie said...

I can't wait to go tomorrow... oops later this morning. Now off to bed I go...see ya soon!

Connie

Kammy said...

Hi Karen....
I got my Canon in June - I did take a couple of classes and it helped out a ton.....there are also
some great books out there with more detail on the your particular model...I got a couple of loners at the library but, need to buy one....I am so cheap, LOL ! I still have much to learn ....have fun with your classes !
Hugs ~ Kammy

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Karen, your photography class sounds like such fun. I don't know how to do anything except use a point and shoot camera and then hope for the best. lol Also, you cracked me up asking about where everyone stored all these dishes. I am with you, all the cupboards are just stuffed and the stacks are so high that I can hardly get anything out. No more plates has to be my motto. lol Hope you have fun at your class. Hugs, Marty

Shelley said...

Awesome camera! Is that a Rebel XTI? I have that same one. You'll love it!!
P.S. the lone arrow button allows you to view the photos you've taken.

Duchess of Tea said...

Hello Karen darling, I do hope you had a wonderful time ringing in the New Year and that 2010 turns out to be the best year of your life, followed by many more. Thanks for all your visits and sweet comments; you are a dear friend...a treasure. I also want to thank you for sharing your experience with me, much appreciated. My dad is doing much better now and I thank my lucky stars for the halo. I am glad it worked out for the best for your husband also. Thanks again luv.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Jodie LeJeune said...

Woa girl, I'm not sure if this Nikon girl loves you anymore...I didn't know you had a Canon!!! ;)
Seriously, that's an awesome camera Karen...and lens too!
Can't wait to see your fat book pages and get our books. Sarah is doing a fantastic job...everyone is going to love them!!!!
:)
everything vintage

ps...I don't know how the heck I missed these posts...you are so sneaky!

Mimi said...

Hi Karen!!!!
I got that camera in June and I found playing around with it was far easier to me then reading the book!!! I ask alot of questions to strangers who have the same camera as ALOT of people do!!!!!
I'm so PROUD of you for taking a class, I ahve a photographer friend who is goint to do a session with me only not to take pics but to train me to take pics!!!! I take notes and keep them int he camera bag, like LOw light, no light, flash off, and I love the continuous button mode!!!! I can help you a little !!!!
Good Luck ----and Have FUN!!!!
hugs,
jamie