Thursday, March 11, 2010

Such a loss!




"Merlin Olsen, 69, a Hall of Fame defensive tackle with the Los Angeles Rams who became equally well known after his playing days as a football broadcaster, television actor and commercial pitchman, died March 11 at a hospital in Duarte, Calif., outside Los Angeles. He had mesothelioma, a rare form of cancer often related to exposure to asbestos." *

Oh my! My heart is heavy tonight. I just loved the series, Little House on the Prairie. The actors and actresses who played on it and all that it stood for. And Merlin Olsen - better known as Jonathan Garvey was one of my favorites. It seems all of the cast is gone, with the exception of those who were children at the time. Michael Landon - "Pa" Mr. Edwards, Richard Bull - "Mr. Olsen", Doc Baker, Reverend Alden. I'm not sure who else - I don't think I want to know.

Why don't they make shows like this any more? It was just the BEST!

Little House and I Love Lucy!!!! The best shows ever!

* ABC news

[signature-1.gif]

16 comments:

Sophee-a Laroo Bijoux and Sheri too said...

I loved him...like a big teddy bear.
How said...and LHOTP was one of my favs too.

Bryanna Lenan said...

I love Lucy!!

BellaRosa said...

Karen amor, I too thought the same thing, I used to look forward all week to Little House....even now on cable when I see that it is on...I watch it...no matter what hour is is...He was an amazing man :) Besos, Rose

Cottage Cozy said...

He brought much happiness to a lot of people through i=his sports and acting...it was a fine show indeed!

Theresa said...

It is a huge loss! I loved Little House on the Prairie and I Love Lucy! I know he will be missed by all! Have a blessed day dear friend! Georgia hugs!

Shabby Kim said...

Just like you, I was very saddened yesterday when I heard about the death of Merlin Olson as Little House was also one of my favorite TV shows growing up. And your right, they just don't make good quality, family programs like that anymore.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Oh, I loved Little House on the Prairie. He was one of my faves too! Ma, or Caroline is still around. I see her selling some kind of senior product. Dan always says the same thing, why can't they make nice wholesome shows like that today.
Your note yesterday just cracked me up! Your so funny~ Have a great day girlfriend!
Hugs, Cindy

Mieke said...

Those were the days my friend... Little house, I love Lucy, The Waltons,... They are missed even in Belgium !

Bunny Rose Cottage said...

Oh how sad!! How did I know know about this!! Little House has always been one of my favorites. I still watch it on Hallmark Channel with my boys. Such a loss. Thank you for posting this!
Hugs,
Amy

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

I saw this on the news, it is sad. I loved that show too.

Connie said...

His sister-in-law lives near us and has a candy store. Nice people, too, honey! Very nice.
xoxo,
Connie

Nina Diane said...

I loved that show! And Iknow what you mean about those kind of shows. I also loved the Waltons. Probably part of the problems the US has....no more do you have wholesome, family shows with morals!

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Hello Karen, very sad indeed, and you are right, they don't make shows like those anymore... I never even watch tv unless it is the history channel or an old I Love Lucy or Andy Griffith... xoxo Julie Marie (He was also from Utah, my home state)...

Cozy Little House said...

I'm so sad to hear that. I loved that show, and so did my daughters. They sure don't make shows like those you mentioned. Which is why I don't watch much tv anymore. Thanks for letting us know. He will be missed.
Brenda

Amy Arnaz said...

Amen! xoxo Amy

Ginger said...

Oh no. I didn't hear this. I, too, loved Little House on the Prairie. In fact, I still watch reruns, lol.
I recently saw a show about the cast, I think it was biography.
Sorry to hear this, ahhh.