Monday, March 29, 2010

Whirlwind . . .

Whew! Busy weekend. Usually my weekends I try to keep somewhat calm and relaxing. This one was jam-packed busy. And I LOVED IT!

Saturday morning I was up before dawn to drive 1 1/2 hours to my friend's estate sale she was holding. She told me not to miss this one and I am so glad I listened to her! What's that? What treasures did I get? Well, maybe you'd better grab a coffee or a glass of iced tea, because this post might turn out to be rather FULL of pictures! Sigh. Great stuff!

(for some unknown reason I cannot get Photobucket to work! Geez I hate this!)

I went to this sale to find vintage lace and linens.
I ended up buying all paper ephemera.
GORGEOUS stuff! And what's really cool is they all 
belonged to this family - everything has the family's 
children's names in them, from one generation to the next. 
It is waaayyyyy cool!

A children's book . . . 

Look at the date . . . 
The tales of two children traveling the world!
The back cover. 
Another children's book . . . 
date on this one . . . 
the colors are just brilliant!
And the story very sweet about the marriage of two birds
A geography book - VERY interesting!
upon opening it  . . . I found POEMS
This little girl fancied herself a romantic poet.
And saved pieces of silk . . .  I wonder why?
She clipped lots of newspaper quotes . . . 
New Holland?
And Hawaii was called the Sandwich Islands
But every page revealed more handwritten poems . . .
This next book is a FUN book.
Step by step instructions on how to throw 
a child's party for every Holiday of the year.

1923. This book was for the son of the above mentioned "poet". 
She obviously met her Prince Charming!
Literally - step by step instructions, down to when the
"postman" should enter the room to pass out
the Valentine cards.
Such fun pictures! Such detail!
And each page gave you the recipes for the suggested menu. 

The spelling of Halloween. Interesting.

Well, I think that's enough of this - it'd take me days and days to post it all. Needless to say - I walked away with some amazing papers.

Yesterday? Well, our friends Mike and Jeanne bought a boat. Mike wanted Mark to check it all out before they finished the sale so we met them down at their TO-DIE-FOR beach house in Newport Beach and we took it out in the GLORIOUS and blue Pacific Ocean and drove around for several hours. (I FORGOT MY CAMERA - I cannot even believe I did that!) It was such a beautiful day - we were floating on the ocean - it was perfect, very, very calm on the water and about 72 degrees which was amazing and deep gorgeous blue. There is an island about 26 miles off the coast called Catalina Island and it looked so close! Like you could head on over and be there in ten minutes (ahhh, but we know better!) Then we turned and looked the other way and could look inland and see the snow capped mountains of Mt. Baldy and Big Bear. It was stunning! I'm not quite sure where else but So. Cal. you can see that. Then we had a late lunch at a fabulous Italian restaurant, then back to their beach house and hopped on the bikes and went for a ride along the Newport Boardwalk. INTERESTING! We had forgot that this was the first day of Spring Break for some of the college kids and they were having a BALL! We rode for miles and then turned around and came back. Very, very fun!

It was just an absolutely, totally perfect day. I even got a head start on my tan! :)

I hope all of you had a wonderful weekend too!
HUGS!
[signature-1.gif]

13 comments:

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Hi Karen, What a fabulous weekend you had! No wonder you loved being busy! I can't see all the pictures. There might be a little problem with blogger right now. I will take a look again later. The goodies I can see are wonderful and your boat trip sounds just fantastic! We had been to Newport Beach once and so I can imagine very well what a gorgeous day you had :-).
xoxo,
Julia

Creations By Cindy said...

Sounds like you had a great time. A lot of bloggers are having problems loading pics it seems today. Be blessed. Cindy

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

Oh Karen, I love Catalina Island. We have been there several times. We rent a golf cart and go all over the island. Oh, you make me want to go away!!

Theresa said...

Well, I stopped by earlier and couldn't see the pictures because blogger was having issues. I'm back now and you hit the muthaload! I love the books with all their bright colors, handwritten poems and then you got to go out on a boat with friends. Are you the luckiest little lady in So. California? Looks like a fun weekend my friend. Thanks for caring about me:) Love you!

June said...

A perfect day indeed Karen!
I love your childrens books!!! I love the illustrations, which is what usually draws me to a book.
hugs

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Hello Karen... what a jam~packed post full of treasures! I so love your vintage ephemera and books... I was really touched by the girl who wrote poems and collected little bits of silk... how DO families part with these most precious items? I think that touched my heart so because I always wrote poems as a little girl too (I still do)... and I tucked them away in books, which I still have... I just love everything you bought! And a day out in the ocean too... sounds like a dream weekend! I went to Catalina Island many years ago and will never forget it... I also love the song "Santa Catalina"... "26 miles across the sea, Santa Catalina is a waitin' for me"... now I will sing that all night long! So happy you had a wonderful time! xoxo Julie Marie

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Karen,
You hit the motherlode girlfriend!! Holy Cow, there is not many things I like better than a good estate sale. Your day on the ocean sounds just wonderful, wish there were pics. But, it's going to be a beautiful week here, with temps climbing into the 70's! That's like 20 degrees above normal. Dan loves to be on the water, he has always wanted a boat. Hopefully, when he retires he can get that boat.
Maybe I need to get on that plane and visit you. You are welcome at my place anytime!
Big Hugs,
Cindy

A Fanciful Life said...

Karen, these items are just treasures! I especially love the cover of the Children's Party book, that is so cute. Sounds like so much fun.Your blog is appropriately named...sounds like yesterday was one of those days. Even if you forgot your camera, you have wonderful memories and better yet, you focused on the day and lived it. You lucky girl!
Sharon :-)

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

I'm back home!!!
And after reading your post, I find myself jealous of your weekend on the water and cruisin' on those bikes! Wow girl, you sure know how to live!!!! Love it!!!
My weekend? Fabulous too, but I'm too tired to post anything...later!
Now I'm back to real life...hmpf!
Love all those books girl...what a load!!! Always make copies instead of the originals!!!! ;)

Blondie's Journal said...

Great estate sale. Sometimes it is what is in the books rather than just the book, like the poems.

Sounds like you had a great time on the water. I can't wait for my first boat ride once it warms up. I wish you had your camera. I would have loved to have seen everything! Next time!! Sounds like it was a great day!

xoxo
Jane

Mieke said...

You certainly know how to live!!! And these books are real treasures, Makes me wonder why anyone decides to sell them, didn't they even look inside?

Connie said...

What a great weekend!! Glad you had a great time.

Patriotic Mom said...

Wow, what a wonderful day! You have some delightful treasures. I hope you will post some of the poems. Do you have background of the author? I so miss the ocean as I grew up in Oxnard, California. I enjoyed this post...Joan