Monday, May 17, 2010

The Long Beach Flea Market

We have a series of Flea Markets every Sunday. Pasadena City College, the Rose Bowl (well, this one is about 10 times larger than the others), Long Beach and Ventura. A lot of the same vendors do each one. I had not been to any of them since last Mother's Day when Joy & I went to the Rose Bowl. (Funny how the prices are higher there.)
Well Joy & Dale have their boat in a slip down in Long Beach~ right by the Queen Mary. So this Sunday, the guys hung out at the boat, while Joy and I hit the Flea Market.

Can you say "SCORE!" ?? :)

We did. Each of us found EXACTLY what we were looking for ~ and then some. I can't show it all to you . . . but ~

Take a gander at some of my haul . . .  
Glass buttons, vintage rhinestone buttons and jewelry pieces ~ sigh.
German Glass Buttons that are exquisite ~ yup ~ I paid that price UGH!
A little bag of "different" buttons. One needs LOTS of buttons for projects.
I know - I'm anal . . . I came home and immediately went thru each
piece and wrapped it around a tag and placed it in bag. 
I hate it when my stuff gets dusty . . . And this way I can still see it at a glance.
This hat is flippin' TO! DIE! FOR! Vintage VELVET flowers!
Tons of them! And yes, I paid an arm and leg for it . . . 

After walking a million miles for several hours ~ we drove down to the boat and met the guys.

There was so much traffic and so many people. We couldn't figure it out until we saw the sign. Guess what was held at Long Beach yesterday? The Gay Pride Parade. Interesting . . . I'd never seen a man in "drag" in person before. Hmmmm . . .

It was cold and foggy - we had a glass of wine at the boat, walked over to a great restaurant and had a wonderful late lunch of oysters on the half shell and three types of fresh fish, walked back to the boat, packed it up, and headed home.
It was the perfect day. Well . . . it could've been sunny ~ but that's OK. Good times with great friends . . . life is good.

This morning it is more of the same - but the fog is so thick it's actually drizzling.

Southern California's June Gloom is here early.

What's it like in your neck of the woods?

Have a wonderful week everyone . . .
[signature-1.gif]

18 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Karen, sounds like such a fun day. I love all of your treasures. You really did score. Now I could use some of your gloom. We are suppossed to be in the high 90's today. Just to let us know the REALLY hot temps are on the way. I hope it's cold when we get there. Hugs, Marty

Charlene said...

Hubby & I were there last year & it was our first expierence with "June Gloom". Of course we were trying to escape "Texas HEAT" so we didn't mind. Hope things are going well for you. I'm finally getting the last post of Petticoats done. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez it's taken me forever. HUGS! Charlene

Charlene said...

Oh I forgot to tell you I covet those tiny blueish buttons. YOU HIT THE MOTHER LOAD at that Flea didn't you!!!!!!!!! I am coming out for Kim Caldwells event in July. I wish we could hook up. Hugs! Charlene

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hey Karen,
Wow!! You did really well at the flea market. I love flea market's but the ones near us usually have some very tacky stuff. I love those purple flowers too. The mistiness creates a really cool pic. If I get to CA, will you wear that hat for me? hehe. Or, maybe we could go to the Kentucky Derby next year, it would be perfect! You get June Gloom? Hmm. I didn't know that. Well, we are going to be 75, sunny and perfect today! It's gorgeous already. I see what Marty wrote. My son and dil are coming next week and they will be glad to escape the heat. We're supposed to stay in the mid to upper 70's all week. Ok, have I rambled enough? hehe. Oh, one more thing, my neighbor has had a bear in her yard several times this spring. I want him to stay down at her house.
Hugs friend,
Cindy

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Karen, Wow, that sounds like a wonderful Sunday and you found fantastic treasures! I'm drooling over the laces, as you can imagine! It was raining over here yesterday and so I didn't go to the flea market. The weather during this month had been more like in March here.
Have a great day and hopefully the sun will come out for you!
Big hugs,
Julia

Joyce said...

sounds like a wonderful day...especially the oysters : )

Theresa said...

Oh how fun and you REALLY found some good stuff! Don't 'cha just love it when you have such a good time and the shopping is rewarding too? Enjoy your day my friend! HUGS!

Our Back Porch said...

Wow my friend! You did SCORE! That hat IS TDF!!! O.M.G. What a great time you had!

Huggles~

Charlene said...

I'm hopping over to visit Joy to check out those swaps. Did you tell her I needed a buddy for this event? Also, I'm adding you to my side bar to keep up with all your wonders! HUGS! Charlene

debi said...

You got some pretty finds!!
And geez, could you be any more organized? I mean really, I just throw my stuff in a box and dig! LOL

zandra said...

Wow, what a score! I wish we had something like that here. Love how you wrap all the lace on tags. Sounds like you had a grand time.
Hugz, Z

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Big Score day for you Karen...oh girl I wished I could have met you there...only about 7 hours from me ha ha!! Love the hat WOW!! hope all is well for you girl..and I have been to the Hookers Ball many times in Frisco and seen it all...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Mimi said...

Hi sweetie!!!
I hope that gloom and clouds are coming our way!!!I want a nice cool day and rain!!!!
That flea market sounds divine!!!!I need that hat for my trip to the Kentucky Derby some day!!!it is on my bucket list!!!!
Great find!!!!
Fun day out at a BOAT!!!!WOW, I would love to hang out there!!!!
Hugs,
jamie

Debby said...

WOW!!! All your goodies are amazing, love the hat and lace. YUM!!!
Debby

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Alrighty girl...

Here's the plan:
Just mail ALL of that pretty stuff to ME.
Priority Please!
;)
Looks like yummy fun!!!!!

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

oh...ps....
Sophie got Lillian's message...
She told me to tell Lillian not to catch a cold.
:)

Home and Heart said...

SO So pretty! I must admit I have a bit of goody envy!!! Thanks for sharing your wonderful haul!!

overthetopstudios said...

Karen, you scored! Lucky you. I love the little vintage hat. Are you going to tear it apart? It is almost to pretty to re purpose. This fall I will have two kids going to school in CA so hpefully I will get out more often. What are the dates for the market? I must circle it on my calendar.
Hugs,
Amada