Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Long Weekend - Part II

Ready? Here we go! Day Two.

Saturday morning - we each piled into our own Jeep and headed down the road to some old favorites and some new wineries to discover.

The weather was just the best. A little nippy because of the wind, 
but it made for a gorgeous day!



THERESA AND JODIE!!! LOOK! 
Spanish moss! In California! Who knew?
Almost missed the sign. I must say - Le Cuvier has turned 
into my favorite most expensive winery. Their people were
so incredibly knowledgable, and they had a wonderful
set up in with all the vats of wines. 
There were different tables as you entered the cool huge room, 
and you tasted them in order ~ beginning with whites. 
Each station hosted two wines and was paired with the perfect foods.
Outstanding! We bought our first $95 of wine. :)
We are going to save it for our 30th wedding anniversary come Sept.
Back up to Tolo, which we all love . . .
but Joy has a problem . . . 
"Karen ~ my battery is dead . . . "
Flowers everywhere! I wish I could post with you
how wonderful everything smelled.
Guys hung out with a good cigar or two . . .

While the ladies did the tasting. Well . . . occasionally we'd
call them over. "You HAVE to taste this one!"
With our pourer ~ I'm sorry - his name has slipped my mind.
Load back up and on to the next one.

Some wineries remove the weeds, other let them go . . . 

We found this old table . . . 
under this old Oak tree . . . 
and had ourselves a picnic.
Back in the Jeeps ~ onward! 
(I was sooooo ready for a nap by now . . . )

Loved this farmhouse . . . I could retire here quite nicely!

Our next winery was Calcareous. 
This was a tribute to the owner. 
This was probably the most beautiful winery I've ever seen.
The flowers, the landscaping . . . 
the picnic area . . .
roasting boars . . . 

fabulous views - I mean REALLY fabulous views
The guys taking it all in while the ladies?
YUP! Tasted!
I went outside to sit and just relax. 
 I just took in the view. 
I'm thinking this landscaping would look really good at my house . . . 


And this is where Karen had had enough of lugging the heavy camera around and it was tucked safely away in the back of the Jeep, along with cases of wine.  After this winery we went to my FAVORITE ~ Grey Wolf ~ and then back to the coaches for a fresh fish and filet mignon dinner BBQ'd by the men and served to the ladies. All paired with the perfect wine.

The next morning Joy and I went to two more wineries; our every day favorite - J Lohr. And then on to L'Aventure Winery - which was a new one - owned by a fabulous French winemaker and his family. Fabulous but PRICEY! Then we packed it all up and all stopped at one last one on the way out of town. Tobin James. VERY fun place!



So until next year . . . a fabulous time was had by all!
[signature-1.gif]

16 comments:

Theresa said...

Fun, fun, fun and Spanish Moss too? Wow, you guys had a great time. The scenes are beautiful, gorgeous flowers and OMG the flowers... too much! I am a little tipsy from just reading this post:) hehe Enjoy your day my friend! Hugs!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hey Karen,
I think I'm a little tipsy too! Lovely scenery and it looks like a fabulous weekend away!
Hugs, Cindy

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Beautiful landscape, lovely weather, great wines, delicous food - everything looks and sounds just perfect, Karen.
Not much wine for the guys but it seems like they had some fun as well.
The farmhouse is pretty and I'd love to move in there too.
Have a wonderful day!
Lots of hugs,
Julia

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What fun this must have been! So pretty and don't you look so cute in that ruffled top?

Karen said...

I WISH that was me in that top!!! That would be my friend Joy . . .

Joyce said...

I just have to get to California...we might do something in September but that's still a maybe. Looks like a perfect weekend!

Mieke said...

Absolutely wonderful landscape. I feel relaxed just seeing all this beauty and hapiness! But I would fall asleep from all this tasting...

Shelley said...

Okay - you mentioned 2 of my favorite things - wine and jeeps! LOL! Looks like a great day! If I lived by you, I would be dragging you to the wineries w/ me every weekend!!

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

Looks like so much fun...and btw...I love Joy's blouse and is that a ruffle purse also??

Debra@Common Ground said...

Wow, you guys, looks like a totally fabulous weekend. The scenery is just incredible! After all that "tasting" I would have been curled in a ball in the back of the jeep...snoring...

Brenda@Cozy Little House said...

You look like you're having loads of fun! Love those views and that old tree.
Brenda

A Vintage Chic said...

So gorgeous, Karen! Where is this? Looks like where I live! Love all the fabulous photos...perfection!

Julie

zandra said...

Great pics! Looks like you had a fabulous time! So jealous. ;o)
Hugz. Z

Chani said...

Hi, this is Chani from Sucre & Cannelle. I have changed my blog name to Blanc & Caramel and the link to http://blancetcaramel.blogspot.com.

Blogspot didn't change the follower link on your blog to my blog automatically, that means: You don't follow my blog anymore and I don't want to loose you as a follower and would like to kindly invite you to

1. visit my new blog http://blancetcaramel.blogspot.com
2. follow me. This works if you unsubscribe and subscribe again.

Thank you!

GIVE AWAY:
I would like to thank you for your loyalty and give you the chance to win an adorable heart ornament from my shop. Please read more about it on my blog.

I hope to see you soon again!

Chani

blancetcaramel (at) gmail.com
www.blancetcaramel.com

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

This looks like so much fun!! Are you near San Luis Obispo? J Lohr is one of my favorite wines - love the reds!!!!

Thank you for visiting my blog!! You are a very sweet place to come to visit.

**cheers ~ clink! **

Becky

Amy Arnaz said...

What a lovely adventure.
xoxo Amy