Friday, June 11, 2010

A DIVINE Flank Steak

All righty then . . . most of you know by now that I rarely post a recipe. It has to be just out of this world good for me to share. Well . . . I found a new one last night - mixed it up a little bit and  fell! in! love!

Now I love food. I mean, come on ~ LET'S EAT! Pour me a good glass of wine to go with it and I am ONE HAPPY CAMPER! But I also love to cook. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to cook. I love to experiment with new recipes - switching things up more often than not. And I have been blessed with a family who loves my experiments. (Good thing)

I found this recipe in one of my Williams Sonoma cookbooks. 
The Complete Outdoor Living Edition -
in the Summer Main Courses chapter. 
It's called Grilled Flank Steak with Tomato-Corn Relish.


But this is my version, I've mixed a few things up. That's what cooking is all about - compromise and substitute. Put in ingredients you love.

The day before you want to serve it, marinate the meat. The full 24 hours.

1 1/2# flank steak
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

STOP HERE! Use a good quality balsamic. I get mine at Williams Sonoma - it is called Fini and - yes - it's pricey. But it is so flippin' good you could almost drink it from the bottle. Remember the old saying "You get what you pay for". This is so true when it comes to vinegars, oils and wine!

4 Tbs GOOD olive oil
2 cloves of garlic - minced
1 big Tbsp of dried italian herbs

Now for marinades, I always use the minced garlic from a jar because it is so juicy and sweet. You just don't get the juice when you use fresh garlic.

Mix it all together - place in a nonaluminum container - pour the marinade over it, turn it once or twice to coat both sides, cover tightly and refrigerate for 24 hours.

NEXT DAY!
The Relish ~ I had never made a relish before. I make salsa, but never a relish. This is so easy and YUMMY!

6 green (spring) onions
3 ears of corn, husks and silks removed
1# good firm tomatoes, like a Roma or or Plum. Quartered and seeded.
1 small red onion quartered - I put this on skewers to cook
1 yellow pepper cut into strips

Remove the meat from the fridge now. You want it room temperature.

Brush all the veggies with a little olive oil and grill on the BBQ. The corn and onion take the longest, maybe 10 to 12 minutes. Everything else just 4 to 5 minutes. You want the grill marks.

Remove veggies and place the meat on the grill. We cook ours medium rare. Fix yours however you like. While that is cooking - cut the corn off the cobs, chop the veggies into smaller bites and place in a medium bowl. Then add 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 Tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. When the steak is done, slice it thinly across the grain. Place meat on a plate and add some relish over it. Serve with hot garlic bread and a salad.


LOVED IT! I hope you do too!

Have a great weekend everyone!

[signature-1.gif]

15 comments:

Charlene said...

YUM! Loved your comments about the RV! Wouldn't it be a blast if we could hook up on the coast together somewhere in our RV's & cook up a mess of this new receipe you just shared? I'd love to see you again! And you said you liked the shop I showed in my post... come on out & I'll take to you to LOTS of places. There are good air fares between LAX & DFW right now. You have your own B&B right here & a gudie to boot! Hugs
Charlene

debi said...

I love to eat...cooking, not so much! But, if someone made that for me, I would definitely eat it. lol It looks YUMMY!

Cat said...

OMG that looks so good. Yes definitely you get what you pay for.

Hugs!!!

Theresa said...

Girl, that sounds delicious! I will give it a try OR... you fix it again and I'll come try it at your house:) HUGS!

Shelley said...

Greg will be over the moon on this recipe - he loves flank steak!! Yours looks wonderful - I'm definitely making this. Thanks for the tip about good balsamic vinegar!

Bryanna Lenan said...

um yummy! Im going to try that!! And youre right WS has the best vine/oil.
xo
B

Bryanna Lenan said...

um yummy! Im going to try that!! And youre right WS has the best vine/oil.
xo
B

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

I just love steaks and this recipe sounds and looks very yummy, Karen! Thank you for sharing!
Big hugs,
Julia

A Vintage Chic said...

Sounds AMAZING, Karen! I haven't even had breakfast yet, and I'm craving your steak!

I love Williams-Sonoma...glad I don't have one real close to me or I'd be in REAL trouble!

Thanks for stopping by! Hope your weekend is wonderful!

Julie

♥ Sonny ♥ said...

looks yummy Karen. Thanks for sharing the recipe..

Sonny

Tins and Treasures said...

Good Morning, Karen,
I enjoyed visiting your blog this morning. I found you by way of Desert Cottage. Anyway...we, too, have been married 29 years and have daughters that are 25 and 21...so much in common!

We also love to grill in the summer and are planning to try a flank steak this week. Thank you for sharing your recipe. It looks fabulous.

Have a restful Sunday ~Natalie

Ann said...

Will certainly be trying this recipe. I make alot of dishes from Barefoot Contessa - so easy and they taste just great. I will be making her recipe for Orange and Cranberry Scones at school next week as it is our Open Afternoon - what better way to have the smell of oranges and home baking to attract people in.

MosaicMagpie said...

A maarinated flank steak is yummy, you are making me hungry.
Debbie

Fleur de Bee said...

Williams Sonoma has THE BEST cook books! This looks so yummy! I would love to join in your sorority! I miss being in mine from college! Fond memories! I think it's a marvelous idea! I'll be sure to grab your button!!

xo Molly

Dogmom Diva said...

Oh wow Karen, that looks great, I am going to make that..my Motherin law years ago gave me a really good flank steak marinade recipe using orange marmalade jelly and teriyaki sauce..marinate overnight..will find it and post..we might be heading to our son and DIL in NorCal this wekend, sounds lik a good fathers day recipe!!
Barb