Wednesday, September 15, 2010

An Extended Anniversary & A Tour!

Last Friday afternoon we took off 
down to our dear friends Mike and Jeanne's 
beach house. (Yes, our friends that I work for.)
They wanted to take us out for a very special 
dinner for our anniversary.
So we got all gussied up and off we went
driving down the coast to Newport Coast.
OH! MY! STARS!
We went to a restaurant called Mastros.
Elite. Divine. Out of this world good.
Mike had arranged for a patio table and we
enjoyed cocktails while we watched the sun set.
Sigh. What an evening.
And of course I forgot my camera. DUH! :(
So iPhone photos are all I have.
(If you love the Beach Boys - turn up the MUSIC!)
Our view of the ocean . . . sigh. 
It looks much farther away in the pictures. 
It's actually just right across the road.
Here are Mike and Jeanne a few minutes later, 
right as the sun was setting.
I love these two people . . . 
We were having so much fun - 
and we sat there for over THREE HOURS just talking.
TOTALLY forgot pictures! 
Someday I'll remember to remember . . . 
But I did remember at dessert. 
The restaurant treated us to a piece of 
five layer chocolate cake that was DIVINE! 
and a very special whipped ice cream. 
Jeanne & I would've been happy with just the
whipped ice cream - it was to die for!
Oh my gosh, it was so good. 
Everything was so good! Each and every bite!
We all agreed, that was the most delicious meal
we had ever had. EVER! 
It was a very special evening. 
One we will probably not experience again in a long time.
That restaurant is kind of out of our league -
if you know what I mean. (Ahem!)
What a treat. I wish everyone could experience a night
like this at a restaurant like that! 
(BTW - Mike and Jeanne are our friends that also
own the ranch up in Montana. BIG SIGH!)

So by now it's really late, we go back to their house, 
and decide to walk off our dinner. So off we took, 
just walking around all the beautiful beach homes for a 
couple of hours. Hit the sack around 1 a.m.

Did I mention Mike and Mark grew up together?
Yup - played on the same little league teams.
Reconnected when Jeanne and I became
good friends when our oldest kids were in Kindergarten.
That would be . . . 20 years ago. HOLY COW!
I went to the school after telling Mark about her and said 
"I'm supposed to ask you if your husband's name . . . "
and she shouted "YOUR HUSBAND IS MARK!"
LOL.Who knew? Very cool!

Would you like a quick tour of their beach house?
If I could have any home in the world, this would be it.
Every square inch of it is SCRUMPTIOUS!

Dining room windows at the front door.
Living room french doors on the other side.
LOVE the dutch door! So welcoming!
Come on in!
A little history. They bought this home several years ago.
It was one year old. They have since redesigned every single
solitary inch of it - except the kitchen and the bathroom 
cabinets and fixtures.
John Cole is Jeanne's designer.
I LOVE that man. Someday when I win the lottery -
he promised he would come do my house too! YAY!
They spent almost 2 years designing this house decor.
Worth every minute.
It's the details that I love.
To the right is the living room . . . 
This is the most incredibly comfortable down sofa
in the world. You NEVER want to get up.
Chairs in front of the french doors leading
to the small front patio
On the other side is the dining room.
Look at the lantern. It is HUGE!
It took three men to hang it.
In this house it is all about the details.
A silver lobster, crab and hermit crab.
and a hiding starfish . . . 
Little coral starfish on each placemat . . . 
The kitchen. Perfect. All they did here was change
the pendants and add the bar stools.
Barb! Look at that rooster! (that NOBODY touches!)
He is so special they designed a carved wooden base
for him to stand on - just in case.
This lady is an old, old figurehead.
(Figureheads are found on the front of old sailing ships.)
They had a stand built just to accommodate her.
She is hundreds of years old.
She is American - you can tell by the style of her dress
and she used to be painted dark green.
  Just imagine where she has been!
Past the kitchen is a small hallway leading to the
downstairs bath and the "?" room.
I call it the "?" room, because 
it really doesn't have a name. 
The original owners who built this house 
used it as a music room.
They installed these barn doors because
that was the only way they could get
their baby grand piano in the house.
The ships above the sofa . . . very old pieces -
with the sails made from antique flags.
Wall opposite the sofa.
Again, the details . . . I love these two antique end tables.
Let's head on upstairs.

These are my favorite stairs in the world.
They are not high, and they are deep, and
it makes climbing all of them so easy and
comfortable. There are three floors, go on up to 
the third, I'm right behind you.
We enter the bonus room. 
With two balconies on either side.
One side faces the bay, the other side faces the ocean.
They are two blocks from water either way.
You hear the surf crash on the beach -
and the sea lions bark in the bay.
Bay side . . . see the sailboat masts?
Ocean side . . . see the water in the background?
Kinda hard to see. You have about five
peek-a-boo views of the water from here.
Back down the stairs. Look at all the antique framed 
dried flowers. They are early 1900's from Germany.
Middle daughter's room (My Sorority Inspiration Girl's!)
Oldest daughter's . . . OURS! Sigh.
If I could redo my bedroom, this would be it.
I don't need the tv at the foot of the bed. 
We don't watch tv in our bedroom . . .  
Sigh. Perfect.
BTW - every inch of this house, including the ceilings
is wallpapered. First a base covering, then the paper.
GORGEOUS! So subtle, sometimes 
you don't even know it's there.
The master bedroom. TO DIE FOR!!!
very comfy cozy 
The fabrics are just dreamy.
I cannot say it enough - it's the details.

Well, that's the end of this tour. I have 7 pages left to do on a fabric fatbook swap I am involved in and I MUST get going on those.

But first - the dogs need a bath. Yup - you heard me right. I am going to give baths to those two monsters. My groomer broke some ribs and can't lift them.
Hmmmm . . . I'll keep you posted on how this goes. . .

[signature-1.gif]

24 comments:

Joyce said...

Oooh....I want the beach house. I need a beach house in the worst way : )

Happy Anniversary!

Theresa said...

Hmmmm, if this is the beach house... what the heck does their other house look like? I love all of this gorgeous home! Love the striped wallpaper and that ginormous lantern! That Master bedroom is WAY too pretty to sleep in:) Sweet for them to treat you so nicely on your Anniversary!

Happy you have such great friends who just happen to be your employers!

Hey, tell Mike and Jeanne that my Anniversary is coming up too:)

Love ya bunches!

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

Oh her home is lovely.. Isn't she just waiting to meet me??? I love that bonus room the best! All gorgeous.....get sewing girlfriend.

Blondie's Journal said...

I'm speechless for once!! A home that faces a bay AND the ocean. That's pure heaven!! I love their decorating style, everything looks so beachy and cozy. Thanks for the tour, Karen!

xoxo
Janie

Shelia said...

Hi Karen! Oh, I'm so glad you and your hubby had such a nice evening.
Your friends beach house is gorgeous to the max!! How lovely. You're so right - so many wonderful details too! So many of the art works are so different - the dried flowers and the sea stuff! :)
I'm so glad to know you'll be coming to my Heart of the Home Party!
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Karen, what a great dinner and how neat of them to take you guys out for your anniversary. You are so lucky to have such great friends. Their home is absolutely unreal. Love all of it. After you get through with it (when they give it to you), I want it. First dibs. Gorgeous. So glad you had a great anniversary. When are you coming out here so we can play? Love ya. Hugs, Marty

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

OH MY GOSH!
What can I say,just absolutely gorgeous! Your right my dear, it's all in the details! And this is their beach house? The other one must be unreal! And the dinner sounded just soooo goood!
That dessert pic has my mouth watering!
Hugs to you,
Cindy

Christine said...

Wow! I am in awe here! First of all happy anniversary! What a beautiful home...I loved looking through ever single picture..just in awe of the eye and talent of so many people when it comes to putting together their homes. Miss you and hope that soon I can get on a better system of keeping up with blogging.

Heather said...

love the picture of the dessert and the pictures of the house. How lovely!!!!! What a dream of a house! I wouldn't mind having one like, near the ocean on top of it all! how cool!

CHERI said...

Holy Cow!!!! This is a BEACH HOUSE???? Are you sure???? Would they ADOPT me????? Or at least let me be their live-in maid????

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

I can't even shut my mouth looking at these pictures. What a house...the bedrooms, oh my. Dinner sounds divine, old friends are the best friends. And the house...did I mention the house???

Charlene said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! That's all I can say! AMAZING HOME! You guys had a wonderful evening together & what a blessing to have wonderful friends that take you to marvelous places. I DID LOVE that kitchen. Again WOW!!!! Thanks for sharing. Miss you too. Good luck on that book!!!! I'm having similar issues (minus the dogs). HUGS! Charlene

Jill said...

Hi Girlfriend!
To Die For!!
That's all I have to say !!!
and
Thank you for sharing the amazing tour ... I'm going back for seconds and thirds....

xoxo
Jill
ps. Happy Belated Anniversary ; )

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Your dinner sounded fabulous, Karen! How sweet of your friends to invite you for your anniversary!
Their beach house is awesome. The bedroom you love is my favorite too. Everything looks so cozy in there.
Have a great day!
Hugs to you,
Julia

Elyse said...

wow, karen ... your friends' home is a beachy dream! (that cake looked pretty dreamy, too!)

happy belated anniversary

xo
elyse

ps
your blog looks beautiful!!!

Barb~Bella Vista said...

Hi sweet Karen, this house is just gorgeous! Thanks for making us drool all over the desks we are working from. Ha!!

Love that rooster....too! You are so sweet. ♥♥

Hugs, Barb

Manuela@TPOH said...

Wow! That's a magazine worthy home! It's just perfection!! They sounds like really nice friends.

Thanks for stopping by. Yes it will be fun when we finally move but in the mean time it's not so fun :) It's a lot of work trying to get things ready. I just keep thinking of all those people I see on House Hunters and how picky they all are!

Manuela

mickle10 said...

Scrumptious doesn't do it justice! To die for! Thanks for sharing!

ShirleyC said...

I want to go there! Lovely pics.

Mimi said...

OH MY!!!
That is the most awesome Beach house ever!!!I loved every inch of it!!
the details are what really makes it feel like HOME!!
Thanks for the tour!!
hugs,
jamie

A Vintage Chic said...

Wow, Karen! What a dinner, what a view, what a night!

That is the most gorgeous beach house I have EVER seen! THanks for showing it!

Hope you're having a wonderful night, my friend!

Julie

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Well...
Are the dogs clean yet? haha
Girl, this was a FANTASTIC tour of Jeanne's beach house. Just beautiful!
You and Jeanne could be sisters! Ya'll resemble each other a lot.
I'm with T...if this is their beach house...what the heck does their REAL home look like!
And stop forgetting your freakin' camera...what's wrong with you???
;)

Calming Scents said...

sooo beautiful, I cannot imagine having a home so utterly peaceful, and comfy looking. That cake...OHHH MY!

Connie said...

Love, love, love the house and your wonderful friends. What a great gift for your anniversary. It is so amazing going to a really really nice restaurant and just enjoying the food and friendship so much.

BTW...my favorite room is the one you slept in and the loft room. Awesome!!

Love ya, Connie