Wednesday, November 10, 2010

EXPLORING

Ready? Here we go - 
fair warning - LOTS of pictures.
This is the RV Park we stayed at 
just south of Lone Pine.
Those are MY mountains! :)
The Mighty Sierra Nevadas!!
 Home for 2 days. 
Not exciting, but it worked!
 Heading out in the Jeep 
Saturday morning to explore.
 Stopped in Bishop at our FAVORITE
place - Schat's Bakkery. They don't allow
cameras inside. :( 
 Fabulous food.
Mouth watering food.
We had a quick breakfast 
and grabbed our fresh roasted turkey
on fresh baked Sheepherder's Bread
sandwiches for lunch too!
 Pups waited in the car - all strapped 
in for four wheel driving!
 Destination? None really - 
looking for Lake Sabrina 
and South Lake 
and Bishop Creek.
 Autumn in the Sierra's. 
Sigh. 
 Found Lake Sabrina!
Good thing - they close the
road after the first big snowfall.
 Also found a little road leading back to
North Lake. Lots of hiking and
mule trail rides available in summer.
For now, the pack horses and
mules have been taken 
down to Bishop until Spring.
There is the lake - between the trees.
 The sky is beginning to 
look interesting!
"Please rain! come on, come on!" 
 But that ain't rain! :)
 Then we found Bishop Creek! 
WOW! Running FAST!
 I couldn't cross this little 
bridge because the dog's paws 
went in between the slats.
But Mark mosied on across.
 The sky looking north . . . 
 And the sky looking South! 
This is South Lake.
Turns out they are emptying it 
part way before it freezes, 
to allow for spring snow melt-
hence the reason Bishop Creek 
was so full!
 So after exploring around there 
for a while we headed on back 
down into Bishop and found 
a cute little park to have lunch.
 What greeted me when I 
opened the Jeep door.
 This is also Bishop Creek - 
just several miles downstream.
It literally encircles the little park.
 Ready for food!
 It was just so pretty. 
I couldn't get over it!
 See - it goes all around our table!
 Didn't see the shoes until I downloaded
the pictures onto my iPad. HA!
 We stopped in Bishop and did some
shopping and then headed south to 
the RV park in Lone Pine. 
These mountains had 
no snow this morning . . . 
 Now they are truly gorgeous!
 The sun peeking through the clouds
 This storm was just south of 
the RV Park . .
 I had every pair of fingers and 
toes crossed I could manage . . . 
 But - it just moved slowly east.
Sigh. No rain for me this day.

And that was pretty much our 
little exploring weekend.

Hope everyone is having a good week! 


[signature-1.gif]

22 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Beautiful pictures, Karen. I have never been to this area before and would love to see the Sierra Nevada. The park looks wonderful and the creek very cool. Looks like the pooches enjoyed themselves, too!!

So glad you had a good time! :-)

XO,
Jane

Christine said...

Beautiful Pictures, Karen. What time are you making your way to Seattle...?I want to make sure the coffee is ready for you! Have fun and enjoy some down time for me...I need it!

Heidi Meyer said...

Those pics are breathtaking! What a dreamy autumn trip! {HUGS} Heidi

Heather said...

love the pictures! What a gorgeous view that must have been. I haven't been there but hope to someday. On my list of places to see.

Glad you had a great trip. the puppies looked very cute in the jeep ready for 4 wheeling.

Theresa said...

WOW, my friend! Gorgeous scenery all around! I can see why you love it there! Those puppies looked like they were so happy to be on the trip with you guys!

Love you bunches and happy you got to visit your mountains!

Connie said...

I love going that way when we go back to visit our son in Moreno Valley. I love also going into that bakery. We stop in Bishop to picnic or spend the night since it's a 14 hr. drive from here to there, but I just LOOOOOVE the desert drive.
xoxo,
Connie

Catlyn Berry (Cizz) said...

The mountains are beautiful! (I WANNA GO!) Your pictures are wonderful and I love all the colors you captured with the Autumn leaves. Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us!

Hugs'
Catlyn

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Karen,
Just stunning pictures my friend!
I love the mountain views and the creek! What a romantic looking weekend!
I had to giggle when I saw the pups strapped into their safety belts. Too cute!
And I also had to giggle about your wanting rain!
When we were in Phoenix everyone got so excited about rain too. Must be cause it's so dry.
We've had really warm weather for November.... Highs in the mid-sixties. But it sounds like it's coming to an end starting tomorrow.
I probably won't see sixties again until I get to AZ. in late Jan.
Take Care,
Big Hugs,
Cindy

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Wow Karen,
Truly beautiful photos...it's like I was there!!!!
I'd love to see it in "real life"...I'm sure I'd fall in love with it as much as you did!!!!
:)

Lululiz said...

Stunning scenery, wow wow ow. And beautiful photographs. What an amazing two days you must have had.
Love your two little darlings, btw.

Mieke said...

Breathtaking Mountains and Skies! I will send you some of our rain, we have a storm coming over right know!

Dissertation help said...

Well... round about every blog posts online don't have much originality as I found on yours.. Just keep updating much useful information so that reader like me would come back over and over again.

Jan said...

Beautiful photo's!

Connie said...

Beautiful!!! I love Schatts bakery!!!

Connie

DeeDee said...

what a beautiful place to be....uplifting..

Electra said...

Wonderful pictures, Karen, thank you for sharing them!

Amy Arnaz said...

Karen~
The Sierras are surely Heaven on Earth. What a perfect vacation. The pups are precious. xoxo Amy

Gail @ Victorian at Heart said...

I was just in this area last month. We also can't pass up the bakery in Bishop. We are now looking for a motor home. How do you like yours? Even though I just got back from a trip, after seeing your pictures, I want to hit the road again. Loved your pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Ginger said...

The pictures are beautiful, Karen. You really do a great job with them. I love the looks of that bakery.
I got a kick out of seeing Jorja and Harley with their seat belts on.
You are a lucky gal!!!!

debi said...

Great pics, it looks like a beautiful place. I'm so happy that you got to see some snow!! YAY!

Joyce said...

Gorgeous pictures! My list of places to see gets longer every day : )

Dawn said...

What beautiful photos Karen! Do the pups enjoy "ruffing" it?