Saturday, March 5, 2011

This and That

OK, fair warning - this post is all over the place... :)


Last weekend we went to AZ for 4 days for a Nascar race. My first one. And can you believe I forgot my camera at home? DUH!!!! Anyway - I really only enjoyed the final race event with the big boys. I don't know - I just can't get excited about a bunch of cars going round and round. It seems all everyone does is wait for a wreck or for someone to pull ahead...give me hockey game!


Of course the last night we were there Jorja just HAD to give us some drama. The little turkey. I had set a bottle of my prescription pain medicine for my feet in my cup holder next to the front seat in the coach. I had had them outside that morning because I was telling everyone how IMPOSSIBLE it was to get this childproof container open! Then I just set them up there just inside door and didn't think twice about them again. The chair was facing backwards anyways...


Well - apparently not so hard for Jorja to get open. I calculated that within 8 minutes of me turning the seat around to face forward because we were getting ready to leave very early in the morning...she had found that container and got it open. We must've walked in on her but she jumped down and we didn't notice it right away. I hear "OH SH#@* KAREN! We have a HUGE problem!" There they were, all the pills, some only halves and lots of powder on the seat. Oh criminey! 


Well the first thing I thought of was that they are supposed to be taken with food and lots of water or they can cause bleeding in your stomach. So I fed the dogs. No matter that it is 10:45 at night, I fed them a 1/2 portion and made them drink. (I knew it was Jorja - wasn't too concerned about Harley.) Then I googled the medication. UGH! Not good for a 15 pound dog to ingest a 500 mg pill. They listed poison control's phone number and I called and explained what happened. They told me to give her 2 tsp of 3% hydrogen peroxide and wait for her to throw up. If she doesn't puke in 10 minutes, repeat. (tapping foot here while waiting and just DIEING on the inside!) Nothing. She was happy and seemed OK and we just kind of looked at each other like "Well...what do we do now?" We were out in the middle of nowhere ... had no clue where the nearest emergency vet could be.  At 11:30 we went to bed. Not to sleep, but to bed. And at 1:00 AM she puked (of COURSE on the bed!) 


WONDERFUL! >:(


But at least it had came up. I didn't sleep a wink all night, I kept feeling her to make sure she was breathing. Next morning we left at 6:30 to head home. I fed her about 1/4 of her normal meal and she wolfed it down. We thought all was fine. We get home, back the coach in and I was just coming inside to CALL the vet to see what they recommended and I came in to a MESS everywhere on the kitchen floor. Called the vet, "bring her in NOW!", threw her in the car and headed down. My heart was pounding. I was so scared!


Well, they kept her the rest of the day, took X-rays, ran every test imaginable on her pancreas, intestines and stomach, gave her some prescription stomach coating, drew blood work and pushed iv fluids through her. I did the math with the pills and figured she could've gotten one MAYBE two down. For some dumb reason I had saved the towel of throw up. The vet asked me "Did any come up?" "Uhhhhh...I never looked!" Needless to say when I went home I looked and YUP! One whole pill.  YAY!

$600 later .... one lucky little rat girl.
 While it may be Karen proof, 
it is definetely NOT dog proof.
It's a horrible feeling to have this happen.
How stupid can I be? I know she is a trouble maker. 
From now on - we are checking and double checking everything and now she is permanently locked up 
in the kitchen and family room downstairs. No more roaming around the house looking for trouble for Miss Smarty Pants.

But she is fine now. Thank God.

So anyway while we were in AZ, Mark and I met CeeKay and her hubby for dinner at CRACKER BARREL! We don't have them here in CA, so it is a treat for us to eat there. Let alone SHOP! We had such a nice evening with them. I just love CeeKay's hubby.  

Then early the next morning I met up again with CeeKay we drove up to Glendale and went shopping. GREAT STUFF!  We each bought an adorable hand towel and we are going to create something with it, and then share them when she gets back from her trip back east. Mine is green for my family room. :)
Then we met up with Marty and had a wonderful lunch, then shopped some more. She gave me this box. 
"I figured you could do something with it..." It is big and deep, and I can't wait. She told me her husband looked at her and said "You are giving her an empty candy box?" And she said "She'll love it!" 
Men! They just don't get it! :)

 I always have such a good time with those two. And to think we met through blogging. Now I can't imagine my life without these two women. I just love them!

CeeKay and I went to a fabulous store called Melrose Vintage in Phoenix. I could spend HOURS in there. 
We each found some old stamps with our initials.
Aren't they great? I already had the K, 
and found the a, r, e, and n. 
I also found these adorable magnets at a little boutique in Glendale. 
One of my cousin's friends at our Nascar camp, 
Kathy - she lives in Montana (sigh) 
is an INCREDIBLE quilter. All hand stitched. 
Not a machine to be found. Well, she taught me 
how to felt! I have been wanting to learn. YAY! 
I have to perfect it, but I am going to do something with new found technique. You can felt on to any fabric or felt. Instead of applique, use roving! I'll keep you posted on what I come up with.
 A few weeks before we left for AZ, I had some free time one weekend and finally made something that had been on my mind for a while. 
 I had so many of these vintage empty thread spools, and knew I wanted to do something with them.
So I did. I wrapped each one with french lace and trims and little vintage flowers and jewelry. 
I love it. 
Yesterday I went into Michael's. 
I hadn't been shopping in probably 2 months.
Found some cute boxes for a future project.
And these faux books. 
I want to change the accent color of our bedroom to that pretty shade of blue. 
Today we are cleaning the coach 
and I am getting READY FOR ROUNDTOP! 
Joy and I leave in 2 1/2 weeks and I am so excited - I just can't wait! I hope we find AWESOME STUFF!!!!
I've never been to Texas, let alone driven there. I love exploring! And seeing new things! And we get to see everyone! I get to see friends I haven't seen since Savannah last April, and I get to actually "meet" and give a real life hug to Karen Valentine! I can't wait! 

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! 

Hugs!
[signature-1.gif]

24 comments:

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hey dear Karen,
Whew! That was an interesting post! Lot's of cool things going on in your life! I wish I could have been there with you gals! Just doesn't seem right! WAAAA!
Ok, I'm done.
I love all your neat finds! And I'm with you, watching cars go around in circles isn't my cup of tea.
Lot's of crap going on in our state, (as I am sure you have heard)
As since hubbies a teacher it really affects us a lot.
Oh, and my son and daughter are having a baby girl! Just found out yesterday!
Come by and say hi when you get a chance!
Missin ya,
Cindy
P.S. I have been to Texas and it was fun. We were in San Antonio, Big Bend etc.
Not so sure about the rest of the state.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

P.S.
So glad poochie is ok! That must have been scary!
Cindy

Theresa said...

Well, you long lost friend, I missed you when you were having fun with OTHER friends:) I agree with Cindy, interesting post! When I forget my camera, I use my IPhone... it is better than nothing! I only wish that I had not been eating lunch while you described the puking! I totally understand the love you have for those puppies and I am happy that Jorja was OK!

Sounds like you had a load of fun! I love the spool banner with bling! You can make anything out of anything:)

Love you bunches my friend, big hugs!

Heather said...

I am so glad Jorja is okay! Poor puppy! I am glad you had a great trip and other than the Jorja problem, you had a good time! Can't wait to hear about Texas!!!!!

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness, Karen! I'm so glad Jorga is OK. What a roller coaster ride that was! It scares you to think what COULD have been. Yikes!

Blondie's Journal said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that with Jorga. I know it must have been scary as it happened to one of my dogs. Only we were told to pour saltwater down his throat and we did it in the bathtub and that's where he barfed!! At least the mess was confined.

I'm so glad you had a great time with Ceekay and Marty. Sounds like you did some serious shopping. Isn't Cracker Barrel fun? And the food is great!

Have fun in Texas...never been.

XO,
Jane

Karen said...

So glad your pooch is okay. Guess we all have experiences similar to this at some point. Just goes with the territory.
Going to Round Top?? Gosh! I live in Texas and haven't made it there yet. What's wrong with me??? All I hear about it though is that it is almost over-whelming. Hmmm. I think I can handle that.
Take care and so glad things turned out okay.
Karen
Ladybug Creek

Nina Diane said...

omgosh Karen...I would have just died! I'm glad the little stinker is ok. Our new pup Bella Boo, she's trouble too and we have to watch her like a hawk

A Vintage Chic said...

Oh, my goodness, Karen! That's just horrible!!! So scary--glad it all turned out okay, though!

Love all your vintage finds--fabulous!

Hope the rest of your weekend is wonderful, my friend!

Julie

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

I had no idea that a dog could open a child proof ca...oh my, something else to worry about around here! I'm so glad things turned out okay, even with the $600 expense (we've had a few of those vet bills around here).

How fun to keep spending time with your blog friends...have a great trip!

Sassy Marsha said...

Hi Karen!

Love the spool idea!! So clever!!!

That happened to me with my roommate's doggie way back when!

xxoo
Marsha

Terri Gordon said...

Oh Karen, what a scare. I am so glad that your pup is ok. What a interesting weekend. Have a great week. Hugs, Terri

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

That little sticker....glad she is alright tho....love you and miss you already...but, I know we will get together again soon....and I will get ready to spend some more of YOUR money!!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I have one of those old Whitman candy boxes, but mine is not in nearly as good of shape! That little puppy is a sneaky one! Glad everything worked out all right!

Penny said...

What a frantic time you had with your cute little puppy - just way to curious for her own good.

Glad things turned out fine and you had a good time on your trip.

Hugs,
Penny

Elin K. said...

Glad the puppers is OK! I cannot WAIT to see what you do with that box...I love those...

Mary Ellen said...

Karen wow this post is so full of excitement- bad excitement, pooch (so glad it turned out out in the end- well sort of except for cleaning up the mess!).. good excitement..your time with Ceekay and Marty- I love those 2! They are just precious ladies!

Love your spool banner! That is just the greatest idea!! I have a ton of these somewhere!! I would love to show this on my blog next Sat for Discovering beauty if it would be ok with you-

Bee blessed
mary

Mimi said...

HI KAREN!!!
First off, how exciting to meet Karen Valentine, ROOM 222. I loved that tv show back in the day!!!
I caught that Brush with fame quickly!!
We will be in LA area for 1 week, my daughter and the kiddos, her hubby is there for 6 weeks of training!!
So we have a free suite to stay in 1 mile from the GROVE Shopping Mall, so we are going!!And going to Malibu too!!
SO excited, is this near you???
Let me know
so glad your doggie is ok, could have been much worse.
NASCAR is fun for an hour or so, but not 4....
I have been to PIR 1 time!!
HAve a great week
hugs,
jamie
let me know next time you are here!!

debi said...

OMG! What a scare! I'm so glad that Jorja is okay. She's just such a sweet innocent looking baby. hehe

It sounds like other than that, you had a great time!
I love your spool garland, what a beautiful and creative idea!

Joyce said...

That sounds scary! So glad your little pup is okay!

Lululiz said...

OMG, Karen, I know exactly how you must have felt. When anything happens to our doggies, it is so scary because they can't tell us what has happened, how they are feeling. Thank God your little sweetheart came through it all alright. It takes my dogs all of 5 seconds to open a screw top mineral water bottle, for example, so I am not surprised that childproof medication bottles are no big deal for dogs. Little horrors, eh?
You are getting around a bit, lol, aren't you? Just you make sure the next time you go on a trip, you take your camera!
Love your idea for the cotton reels, they look fantastic with all those lovely trims and yummy laces. xx

Mic said...

Thank the Lord it all turned out ok. Love all your finds and ideas - as usual! And aren't NASCAR races fun in person? It's been years since I went to one, but I remember how much I loved going to one.

Shelley said...

So sorry to hear about your poor pup! I know how stressful (and expensive!) those ER vet visits can be! Wish dogs would just stick to their own food - lol!

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Hi Karen, Oh what a shock! I'm so glad that Jorja is doing o.k. You must have been so scared. Who would think that the doggie would chew on something like a medicine container. It can't taste too good.
It sounds like you had a great time with Ceekay again. That's wonderful!
I love the stamps you bought and your spool garland is very pretty and a great idea.
Have a lovely week!
Hugs to you,
Julia