Monday, April 4, 2011

Is it really OVER?

My trip to Round Top is over. 
Golly it went by fast. 
4140 miles - round trip.  YeeHaw!
This was our view for 2/3 of the trip.
Nothing but sky! Over the next hill ...
and around the next bend ... 
nothing but sky.
And then all of a sudden it got green!
Joy and I had such a fun time. 
I had a few medical inconveniences 
here and there, but I made it through!
Hot and horribly humid Texas weather doesn't 
bode well for anyone who is suddenly 
allergic to the antibiotics they are on. 
(Ended up in the ER for that one.) 
But Joy was a trooper right alongside me. 
And we did have a ball. 
All the way there - 
and then all the way back home. 
Even the flat tire in Palm Springs 
doesn't seem so bad now ... :)

Antique week. How to describe it ...well, 
it was hot, it was humid, 
it was freezing, it was raining - 
the weather ran the gauntlet. 
Just like we were told it would. 
And I wouldn't change a thing!
Our Hostess with the Mostest - 
Miss Charlene from My Hearts Ease 
was just the most gracious Texas Tour Guide. Every time we all got together - everything ran so smoothly. She was absolutely awesome. She had us rolling on the floor with her stories of her parents tour guide escapades. She took us to the best restaurants around. And had our shopping days filled to the brim with adventures.

So here is most of our group! 
Zapp Hall for lunch on Saturday! 
(Sandy and Cindy hadn't arrived yet
Diane was setting up at her Marburger display)
(left to right, Joy, Rita, Riki, Susie, Karen V, Charlene)
Golly we had fun. 


Here is the entire group at the Blog Party
on Sunday night -
which I didn't get to go to (sniff)
'cause i was red and white and itchy all over!
Sandy, Charlene, Susie, Karen, Joy
Rita, Cindy, Riki, Diane
This was just the BEST group of ladies!
We had a FABULOUS time!
I hope we all get together again and I'll have more time to really get to know each of them better.


My special treat was these two ladies.
Karen Valentine - My Desert Cottage.
I actually got to hug her for real! 
She designed my blog and after many a phone call and a few panicy Emails has helped me through many an iMac question! LOVE HER!
And of course, our Hostess, 
Charlene from My Heart's Ease
I met Charlene last spring on my trip to Savannah. 
While I didn't really get to know her until the end of the trip - I've gotten to know her since, and how could you not love this woman? HUGS GIRL!
You are awesome! The bestest tour guide EVER!!


Ok - on to the SHOPPING!
We got home Friday night, and I spent all day Sunday changing things around in my craftroom and my home. My husband was actually HAPPY about my purchases! I really tried to only get things I can use in projects - and pieces that I wanted around the house. 
Joy and I each had a checklist and we 
followed them pretty closely. 
We rented a trailer to bring all of
our treasures home in...(hehehe) 
WHAT FUN!!!!!
My biggest purchase was my pie safe. 
Sigh. It was love at first sight. 
An oldie but a GOODIE!
 Love the mouldings...
 Love the color on the inside...
 Love the old hinges - aren't they pretty?
 And the drawer pulls.
 Here she is in her new home!
My second biggest purchase were these 
wood and rod iron pieces.
I am going to hang them on the stairwell.
Then I got this FABULOUS little tureen.
It is perfect! I was a very happy, HAPPY camper when I bargained him down to my price! YAY!
 And this adorable little creamer.
 Look at the entwining handles! Cute huh?
I did find these three baskets which fit 
perfectly in my pie safe...
LOVE these two perfect vintage suitcases...
And these lovely french paper covered books.
 Works of art!
 Fell in love with this old broken clock...
And of course - all the STUFF!
Love my train case! It was purely
coincidence that it matched one of 
the other suitcases I found!
 All the must haves!
The bling, the bobs, the rust,
the lace and snips and tats,
the vintage GASPS,
the one of a kinds! 
You know! The piles of stuff that makes 
your heart beat faster just thinking of it!






 What? You couldn't hear me squealing 
each time I found a new treasure?
Just look at these old ornate door plates...sigh.

Oh I know - that's enough for today. Trust me when I say - there is LOTS more to share. And I have some very fun projects in my future! YAY!


Hope you enjoyed my little slice of Texas Heaven I shared today. Stay tuned for more...


But for now - it's off to work tomorrow ... back to the real world! But it sure was fun while it lasted! 

Hugs! 
[signature-1.gif]

23 comments:

The Polka Dot Closet said...

You are so right, the piles of little bling and rust that makes our hearts beat fast, I can't believe you brought that cabinet the whole way Wow, what a great trip you had can't wait to see more!!

Carol

A Vintage Chic said...

Geez Louise, Karen! You had a ball!!! So sorry about the ER trip, though...glad you stuck it out & had fun!

You're so lucky to have gotten together with Charlene--isn't she the best?! Can't wait to meet her in person one of these days!

LOVE that you rented a U-Haul to get it all home--WELL DONE, my friend! And the fact that your husband liked it all...he's a definite keeper!

Can't wait to see more & see what you make with your fabulous vintage finds!

Get some rest!

Julie

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Oh Karen sounds like you had a blast! Sorry to hear tho you had a little bad spell. Scary for sure! Your pie safe is to die for and what a great find! I love everything you got! How fun pulling a trailer. Looks like you had fun meeting up with everyone! Cute ladies!

Glad you are back safe and sound and enjoying your finds! Yes, we must get together! Julie (The Vintage Chic) and I thought it would be fun to get our CA sisters together soon!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

Glad you had a good time. I see lots of goodies in those piles!! I am so sorry you missed the blog party....that was a bummer...but, at least you did get to go!!

Heather said...

I am so glad you had a great trip!!!! Love the stuff you got! Can't wait to see what projects you will be making! I hope you are feeling better now and that the allergy reaction is gone. Glad it didn't make you have to go home early. I hope you are feeling better now.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

OMG Karen,
It was so good to hear from you!!!
And girl what a trip you just took me on! You are a great guide. I could feel the Texas you were in, the open roads and big sky. I remember them so clearly. And the goodies, oh my, your pie cupboard is one of the prettiest ever! And the metal thingy's and the baskets and the bling, you done good!
How wonderful that you got to meet all those lovely gals! Sorry about your allergic reaction... such an itchy uncomfortable feeling. I am allergic to amoxacillen (sp) so I know what you mean.
And I love the filled up U-Haul! That is such an amazing pic and one to remember your trip by.
Can't wait to hear more!
Love Ya girlfriend,
Cindy

June said...

Karen I was so thrilled to hear from you. So glad you made it home safe and sound.
Oooh that pie safe is just wonderful.
You have to know that I am drooling all over this keyboard looking at all the vintage bits and bobs you brought home!!!!! Now that is what I think of when I think of Heaven!
You girls must have had a blast! Everyone looks so cute. Rats...I was hoping to get to see a pic of you though.
sending hugs

Theresa said...

Well it is a good thing that you had such a good time because you won't get to leave me behind again for a LONG time:)

What a fun time, all the way there and back and LOTS in between! A trailer full of goodies, OMG! Girl, you got some great buys!

I am sorry you ended up in the ER and missed some of the fun but thankfully Joy was there to take care of you! Friends are the BESTEST!

Big hugs and enjoy your day! Missed you so much and happy to have you back home... SAFE AND SOUND! HUGS!

Gypsy Brocante said...

Welcome home Karen and thank you for my first taste of the Texas antiques week! ... you found a boatload of goodies! ... and great idea to rent a truck to get it all home!! I can't believe you already have your pie safe set up ; )

Sounds like you had a wonderful time!!
xo Jill

ain't for city gals said...

Hi I came over from Jan's at A Journey...one day I am going to make it to Round Top just to see it...next time stop in Az to say Hi!

janis said...

Karen~ What lovely treasures!And oh what fun. An absolutely wonderful place to meet up with Blogger friends!
So sorry you got sick~ how dreadful and scary!
I use to have two pieces of a luggage set in the cream like the train & larger one you found! One was like the larger, but the 2nd was round, and I loved it. When the girls were small we used it for Barbie clothes. I wish we never parted with it now. Funny how when you have young ones when you get on a cleaning ~ garage sale time moment, you can purge more than you intend.
Can't wait to see more of your treasures. Your pie safe looks very happy in her new home♥

Connie said...

You did GREAT, sugar! I know what you mean about nothing for miles and miles and miles. That's how it is when we go back to California to visit with our kids and grandkids or even our granddaughter over in Washington. Just miles and miles of desert! But it is actually soothing once you get used to the solitude. We just turn on oldies CDs and be-bop across Oregon and Nevada.
xoxo,
Connie

Collected Treasures...for the home, heart and soul said...

Goodness, girl, it looks like you did Roundtop RIGHT! In spite of being sick, it looks like you did yourself good and all the "stuff" is gorgeous. And you know....I'm pretty sure I heard you squeal up here in Dallas....I just thought it was the wild cats in the creek....lol
Thanks for such kind words about my Somerset article....can't wait to have enough time to sit down and read the whole mag to see what Joy had published...I'm sure it's fabulous as the whole magazine is....
xojana

CHERI said...

I'm greener than a seasick sailor....with envy! You lucky gal, you! So many wonderful, wonderful treasures. My favorite are those gorgeous door plates. I want some too!!!!! So glad you had such a good time but sorry you got the itches. Now you're home safe & sound and it's time to enjoy all your treasures. Have fun!

Riki Schumacher said...

Hi Karen, I'm so glad you recovered from the antibiotics, yuk. It was so great meeting you! Wish we could have hung out more, but maybe next time? I love your loot, its so much fun to see what you got. I knew you guys had a full trailer, just wondered what was in there!! Glad you made it home okay, that's a long drive girl. Take care, hope to see you soon somewhere! Hugs, Riki

Lovey said...

Awesome time with awesome folks...I love it!! Lot's of goodies too! Wonderful!!!!

Charlene said...

I think we didn't shop together enough... I want tons of things I saw in your photos!!!!

Honey I am soooooooo super glad we really got to know each other better this trip. We need a trip for just visiting don't you think???? We have sooooooooooo much to catch up on. Hope you are feeling better now. I know you were uncomfortable with that nasty rash but, what a great sport/shopper you were anywy!!!! Hope you are planning on coming back next spring!!!!! Remember, mi casa su casa baby!!!! Love Ya Girlfriend!!!!!!!!!!!! And thank you for all the sweet things you said about me. I had a blast with all my peeps. Charlene

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

What a long trip, Karen! When I look at your treasures, I have to say though that it was absolutely worth it. Wow, you have found some amazing pieces, girl! I especially love that pie safe, the baskets and all the bits and bobs. The rusty cage on the trailer is wonderful too. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you brought back :-).
I'm sorry to hear about your medical problems. It still sounds like you had a great time. I wish we would have such huge and amazing antique market over here.
Hugs to you,
Julia

Grace said...

What a fabulous trip and I especially love the pie safe!! So many treasures, I can't wait to see what you make. Glad you spent some time with such wonderful friends. I know Rita and she is the sweetest! I love her. Hope you are feeling better. Grace xoox

debi said...

OMG! I can't believe all the beautiful treasures you found!!! I'm doing some serious swooning here!

It looks like you had a wonderful trip, minus a few set backs. I hope you're feeling better now. Hugs!

Anne Lorys - Fiona and Twig said...

My goodness, you certainly did do it up right!

So glad you could make it down our way and take in the greatest show on Earth.

All the best,
Anne

Lululiz said...

YOU HIRED A TRAILER???? Tehehehe, very sensible, girl. I am battling with conflicting feelings here, lol, I am soooo envious you got to go to such a fabulous event, I am totally drooling over all the fabulous treasures you found, I am thrilled to bits for you having found so many beautiful things, and I am so excited looking forward to seeing the fabulous things you are going to create with the bling and the lace and all the other treasures.
I hope you are ok now after your allergy scare and trip to the ER.

The Reading Girl said...

Karen, I love your shopping finds!!! And I love even more that you found all these treasures in Texas (where I live)!

Wishing you all the best :o)