Sunday, May 15, 2011

Inspiration

Where does your inspiration come from? 
Have you noticed sometimes it comes 
from something you least expect?
We are getting ready for a major painting expedition throughout much of our home. And I needed to find just the right accent color for the living room, entry, stairway and downstairs hall. 
Piece of cake right? 
I thought so but NOT! 
It took me forever! 
I knew exactly what I wanted 
but you get cross-eyed after 
staring at all those little squares. 

Trip after trip - I have more 
sample paints than I can count! 
Too blue - too bright - too nursery.
My poor walls! LOL. :)
I am a visual person. I have to see 
color before I can choose.
I had to put a small sample of 
each one I tried on the walls 
that are going to be the accent color.

Seemed like it should be so simple.
But it turned out to be very difficult.
Until yesterday when I was wrapping a
birthday gift...
THAT'S IT! 
That's the color!
I went running to Mark
"LOOK! I FOUND IT!"
And he looked at the ribbon 
I held in my hand and said 
"I think you've finally got it."
YAY!
I took in to Lowes, they matched it,
I brought it home and threw a square 
sample up on each wall... 
BINGO!
FINALLY!
That's it on the left.
These "sea glass" bottles from Pottery Barn
were my inspiration. 
As for the other color that will be on the majority of walls, I'm just going to carry the color I already have in the dining room into the entry and living room. Easey peasey! 

Decision made! 
I'm so glad because I really was going cross-eyed... 

I've ordered my drapes...decided on the hard ware... had to change my plans for the sofa and loveseat - it's looking like I'm going to have them recovered.
So...now I just have to find FABRIC!

Yikes...

:) Karen

24 comments:

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Yah!
Looking good girl and I love that shade of blue! And blue is tough because there are so many and some are amazing and some are down right not!
Can't wait to see the finished room!
How's life going for you?
We have the typical graduations,weddings etc to attend this month and our weather got cool again. I am so sick of it but next week promises warmth.
Or hope springs eternal! lol.
Hugs to you,
Cindy

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Oh Yah!
I am number 1 and now number 2!!
LOL. Now I am silly!

Pat Winter said...

Yes, that is a beautiful calm color. Good job!
Pat

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Wow, this is a total remodel and redo. I can't wait to see it all. It sounds fabulous. Love the color. Hugs, Marty

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

Good for you! Are you keeping the couch in the living room?
Well, so let the painting begin!!

Elyse said...

don't you love when that happens? and if you have more of that ribbon, you can use it in little places in the room. beautiful color and fun story.

xo
elyse

Theresa said...

Love that color! It is a little darker than what I used in my pool house! Can't wait to see it all painted up! Don't 'cha just love it when you can make up your mind on a HUGE decision! Painting is something that you will look at for a long time:) Happy you found the right one!

Love you my friend! HUGS!

A Vintage Chic said...

Love that color, Karen! Don't you love it when things fall into place like that?! Sometimes it's the littlest thing that saves the day!

Hope your weekend has been wonderful, my friend!

Julie

Charlene said...

PERFECT!!!!!!!!! I ADORE THAT COLOR!!! I have been buying a lot of things in that color pallete lately. And I am wanting it in clothes/jewelry too! I'd say you got it baby! You're on a roll! Can't wait to see it all pull together. Do I get to see it in person when I'm out in August? HUGS!
Charlene

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

I LOVE that color, Karen! I've seen it (or very similar) in movies and in interior design books and I always told dear hubby that I would like to paint a room in such a shade one day. He loves it too. Have fun renovating!
Hugs,
Julia

Mary Ellen said...

Karen I just went through the same thing a few weeks ago with my front guestroom! Instead of going to the store I went down to the basement 100 tim es to mix and remix the oops paint. I am so in love with the color I finally ended up with and know you will be so very happy with yours too!!! Can't wait to see it all dressed out in your pretty blue!

bee blessed
mary

debi said...

Love the blue! That's a big change for your livingroom, it's going to be beautiful!! Can't wait to see it!

Lululiz said...

YES! HURRAH! I think you make an excellent colour choice there. Now please hurry up and get painting, I so wanted to see the finished result! Oh, and have oodles of fun chosing the fabric, tehehehehe.......

Joyce said...

Good luck with your projects. We've had some big things going on here for the past two months and I am so ready for all the work to be done. And the mess. Especially the mess.

Love the paint color!

Penny said...

Good Luck with all your remodeling.

I love the color you finally had mixed for you.

Hugs,
Penny

Dawn said...

That's a lovely color Karen, and so poppular right now. You shouldn't have any problem finding fabric. Can't wait to see the results.

Lisa said...

Karen,
That is such a pretty color! It's going to look fabulous in your house. I'm sure you'll find some fabric you love. Look online for a little head start.:)

Heather said...

I love the colors you picked! Good luck with the fabric for the furniture! I can't wait to see the end product pictures!

Torie Jayne said...

Lovely colour choice!
Have a sweet day!

CHERI said...

I can soooo identify with you! A few weeks ago we had our bathroom painted. Hubby picked out the color (which, by the way, I wasn't totally sold on but gave in anyway). It's a small bathroom & didn't take the painter long. He came downstairs and said, "That's a bright yellow." "Good, that's what my husband wanted," I said. He left & I eventually made it up the stairs. OH MY SWEET LORD!!!! I needed my sunglasses. Thought I was going to throw up...literally. Called hubby crying...told him it was horrible. Hubby says call the painter back...end of story is it is now a much lighter yellow. I hate, hate, hate picking out paint colors....but you did a great job. Lovely color! Good luck with it:)

tina said...

great!

BucksCountyFolkArt said...

Congratulations!!

I based the whole color scheme of my kitchen on get this....a dishtowel!! It had all the Fall colors I love! I brought it to Lowes, compared it to the paints and there you have it! haha! You NEVER know where inspiration will come!!

Patty in Oz said...

I really like your choice! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Have a blessed day!

Eydie said...

Love the color ,,, and I love the process you shared.
So, looking forward to seeing your finished project.